Hello guys..!!

I'm new to python and I have a task which require me to write a simple TCP server which will interact with the web browser. I have done some coding as well as researching over the internet to find relevant notes and materials but none helped.

What I want to do is that I would run a TCP server which will open a socket and listen on some particula port e.g. 12000. Then configure the browser to connect on that port number and try to send a GET request. For example if I type http://localhost:12000/www.google.com the server should be able to return the page and display it on the browser. This is what looks like doing the job but not complete...

# import the required library
import socket, threading

class ClientThread(threading.Thread):

def __init__(self,ip,port, socket):
        threading.Thread.__init__(self)
        self.ip = ip
        self.port = port
        self.socket = socket
        print "[+] New thread started for "+ip+":"+str(port)

# Entry point for thread
    def run(self):    
        print "Connection from : "+ip+":"+str(port)

#clientsock.send("\nWelcome to the server\n\n")
        self.socket.send("\nWelcome to the server\n\n")
        data = "dummydata"

while len(data):
            data = self.socket.recv(2048)   #clientsock.recv(2048)
            print "Client sent : "+data
            self.socket.sendall("You sent me : " +data)

print "Client disconnected..."

host = "localhost"
port = 9999

# Create server socket object
tcpsock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)

# Port reused immediately after the socket is closed
tcpsock.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)

# Bind the server socket to the port
tcpsock.bind((host,port))
threads = []

while True:
    # Start listening to new connections
    tcpsock.listen(4)
    print "\nListening for incoming connections..."
    (clientsock, (ip, port)) = tcpsock.accept()

# Create new thread
    newthread = ClientThread(ip, port, clientsock)

# Start new thread
    newthread.start()

threads.append(newthread)

# Wait for threads to terminate
for t in threads:
    t.join()

What this code returns is only what the broswer send. I want to know how the server could return the whole html documents (jpge files and anything) so it can be displayed on the broswer. I asking if anyone can point me to the right direction or give some hints that would help.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you certain you don't mean to write an HTTP server? TCP is a transfer layer protocol used to send the packets peer-to-peer, and while World Wide Web (HTTP) messages are most often sent across TCP/IP metworks (e.g., the Internet), they are separate things. The server you describe would almost certainly be an HTTP server.

I would look into the http.server library, as that has built-in support for preciesly what you are looking for.

Yes that would be what I'm looking for, HTTP server. I have done awful lot of search online but I could find how the server can return a whole webpage that can be displayed in the browser. I know they are able to interact after sending the GET request but no webpage displayed. Can anyone give me some hint or pseducode. Thanks

I am not sure, I understand your problem.

These two one liners start a webserver in the current directory. If you point your browser to the localhost, and the port given on the commandline, you will get a directory listing.

Python 2.x:
python -m SimpleHTTPServer

Python 3.x:
python -m http.server

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.