I believe everyone heard the news from November the 11th-"Opening up Visual Studio and .NET to Every Developer, Any Application: .NET Server Core open source and cross platform, Visual Studio Community 2013 and preview of Visual Studio 2015 and .NET 2015".

Maybe some people will disagree but I think that Visual Studio is the best IDE ever developed. I was never a fan of Microsoft but Microsoft is always present (software, programming languages) at universities, high schools, aditional education ect... For this reason I've chosen C# to be my primary language (sorry for going of topic).

After I read this I asked my self a reasonable question. Does this mean that most of the developers will switch to Visual studio? Also, since you can now develop for IOS, Android from Visual studio, does this mean that Eclipse and other IDE-s will eventually go down? And my last question, Does this mean that ASP.NET will take web apps and more&more Developers will switch to Visual studio since there will be no license and therefore save their money?

Please state your opinion.

Change is slow. Just because Tesla open sourced all of their tech, it didn't change the industry and suddenly every new car is electric.

Also, having used both eclipse and vs, they have their own quirks and unique feel. People aren't just going to abandon what they know because something else is now free. Aka the old adage: You can't teach an old dog new tricks (because they're stubborn old farts :P)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.