Hello.
I'm looking for a good tutorial for creating a chat messenger in java. I checked this link but it was not good and clear, was poor tutorial without clear explanation and details.
Can you help me with another tutorial? Tutorial video or text both are good.
(Let me mention that i'm new to java)
Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hello Niloofar24! :)
Creating a chat box (or chat messenger) will likely use Threads. You're going to want to learn about those to handle the messages going back and forth. But this is a bit of an advanced topic. How new are you to Java? If you're a Novice you'll want to work your way up by learning the basics first.

I agree.
You will need to create a user interface, create a IP server and an IP client, make a network connection, send data by using streams, and do all that in multiple threads. If you are new to Java this is far too much to tackle in one go. Have a look a our thread on projects for beginners (at the top of the forum listing) and try something simpler first.

Yes, it's my second day in Java. I decided to create a chat messenger so i have started to learn Java. Of course i'm not new to programming, i code in c++, Python and php.
I thought maybe it's better to start with a good tutorial for creating chat messenger from the first step.

OK, if you really really want..
Here's an excellent tutorial on client/server messaging. It' part of the Oracle tutorials, which are by far the most complete, accurate and up-to-date tutorials for Java. Get started here.
Many other tutorials on the web are either out of date or downright wrong, so be careful out there.

I checked the link many times but unfortunatelly i faced with a blank page, i don't know why! Is there any other good and clear tutorial? Or at least can you help me with telling me where i should start from to create a chat messenger? What is better for now for the first step to start from? Can you suggest me where i can start from and what is better for now to learn? Well i know it's not easy to answer those questions and you all are not here to answer these kinds of questions but just want to know the primary form, model and shape of the way i should go through. Just need to find the first step:)
Thank you for your help and answers.

Niloofar: you should start by the links James provided you, since they are the official tutorials about how to use sockets, and the official tutorial on learning the language.
my advise: start with the second one.

just want to know the primary form, model and shape of the way i should go through. Just need to find the first step:)

The first step is to learn the language. Knowing other languages is a plus, but it can work against you if you know their syntax by heart, and don't know Java's at all.

Yes. The tutorial on Sockets that I linked is the best place to start, but it's very clear that you do not yet have the basic knowledge to attempt such a complex application. Please start with something a lot simpler to build your skills.

Niloofar: you should start by the links James provided you, since they are the official tutorials about how to use sockets, and the official tutorial on learning the language.

I tried those linkes again, but this is what i faced with:

"In compliance with U.S. and applicable Export laws we are unable to process your request."

So i can't access. Well, for now i think it's better to start with learnging java basic syntax.
Thank you friends:)

Wow, that's bad.
I see you are in Iran, and it seems Oracle have decided that they cannot supply Java technology to Iran under US law. Most people seem to think that they are wrong about that, but there's nothing you can do.
The tutorial problem is annoying, but the lack of Java security updates is really dangerous. To be honest if you can't get a secure version, then I would advise you to forget Java and use something that you can get maintained (C#/.NET?) in your country. This is very sad.

This is very sad.... for now just want to learn Java. Thank you for your answers.

In any case I do wish you the best of fortune. It's always the ordinary people who suffer when politicians play their games. May your luck be better in future.
J

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.