Hello,

I am starting out learning Python syntax and in the book that I am reading it is mentioned that objects are assigned by reference and not by value, i.e. foo1=4
foo2=foo1
Now foo2 and foo1 refer to the same object in memory and I even verified this by using the 'is' keyword that tests for reference equality. Now, if I increment foo1 and check for object equality using 'is' I am getting a 'False' value. Why is that? When I try to print out the value of foo2 it remains unchanged and when I print foo1's value the value has incremented. I did not understand the concept of assigning the objects reference if the value does not update itself in both the variables. Can anyone please explain this observation? Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

AFAIK, there is no inplace augmented assignment operator for integers in python. It means that in

foo = 4
foo += 1

the second statement creates a new int object and assigns it to the name foo.

For user defined types, the python documentation recommends to define += as an inplace operation (method __iadd__()) if it is possible, but it is not enforced, and obviously, it cannot be done for immutable types such as int.

Edit: it works for lists (a mutable type)

>>> foo = [1, 2, 3]
>>> bar = foo
>>> foo += [4, 5]
>>> bar
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

It means that the first important type classification in python is mutable vs immutable.

To further the foo_1 is not mutable (when it is changed it resides at a new memory address).

foo_1=3
print "at memory address", id(foo_1)

foo_1 += 2
print "not mutable so new value=new address"
print id(foo_1)

print "\n lists are mutable (same memory address)"
foo_1 = [3]
print id(foo_1)
foo_1[0] += 2
print id(foo_1)

If you create a list or dictionary object in Python, you are really creating an instance of a class. Class instances are reference types. You can test that out on a class you write yourself.

To me the clearest analogy is the use of yellow sticky notes so please see this

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.