I don't know too much about web development or making web pages although I can make simple html pages that have forms and so forth. I can do a little bit of javascript and css so that I can give the page some functionality and some type of design. However, I am trying to figure out a way how to create a page that will ask for a user's information such as first name and then have them emailed a message with a generic template with a few changes such as having their name put in the template where I have their name specified.

I don't have a database that I can pull information off of either, so I'm a little confused as to what I should be using. Should I be using html with javascript? Maybe php? VB Scripts? Any insight would be greatly appreciated since I can then start toying around with a few different things. Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You can use HTML/javascript/css for the client side but if you want to send emails you'll need to involve some server side code eventually.
I'd recommend PHP if you just want to send emails. The code for that isn't complicated and you should pick it up pretty quick and there are plenty of tutorials online to help.

As hericles said, you'll still use HTML/JS/CSS for the front-end but you'll need a server side script to send the e-mails. I also suggest PHP because it's simple to install, develop and deploy.

Here a well detailed tutorial on what you want using PHP: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/php/php_sending_emails.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.