Hi group,

I'm making a handful of changes to an existing program I wrote a year or so ago. For some reason I can't get it to build as I'm getting an error that says:

1> Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\Restran Solutions.exe" to "bin\Debug\app.publish\Restran Solutions.exe".
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3506,5): error MSB3113: Could not find file 'bin\Release\Restran Solutions.pdb'.
1>
1>Build FAILED.

I did look to see if that file path exists and it does not. Is this something that needs to be created? How to I go about fixing this?

In advance, thanks for your help.

Don

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try this.. In Menu Bar click "Build" then Clean your solution and rebuild it after.

yvrej17, I'm not sure what you mean by "clean" the build. The reason I'm getting the error message as I've attempted to build the project. However it isn't building because it's not finding the debug file. Can you explain further?

Thanks,
Don

@yvrej17,

I found how to "Clean" the solution. Unfortunately it did not work. I'm still getting the error message : "Could not find file 'bin\Release\Restran Solutions.pdb'."
(Restran Solutions C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 3506 5)

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for your help.
Don

I have had similar problems and I have found it was easier overall to just rebuild everything from scratch. That means creating a new project while keeping the broken one open. Create a form of the correct size then go to the original form and do "select all/cop", then go to the new project and paste all the controls on the blank form. Do the same copy/paste for the code.

commented: That's what I would do too. +15

@rproffitt,

When you say to change the name via the command line, where is this found?

For the record, I can see the Restran Solutions.pdb file listed in the \bin\Debug and \bin\Release folders in the Solutions Explorer. It's also found in the \obj\x86\Debug\TempPE folder.

I'm really scratching my head. This is the first time I've run into this issue.

Don

@doncwilson

I didn't write to change the name but noted I would not use spaces in project folders. If it works for you, fine, but I don't.

Remember there are prior discussions so I didn't duplicate what they noted here. For example I read http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4813975/why-is-visual-studio-2010-not-able-to-find-open-pdb-files and find a dozen ideas. Which one is it this time? After reading it I like the one about "I had the same problem. It turns out that, compiling a project I got from someone else, I haven't set the correct StartUp project" since it sounds close to your issue where you are working an old, maybe imported project.

commented: Indeed,no spaces. +15

I can't remember if this was an imported project or not. It may have been. But I like Rev. Jim's idea. I've done this before. So I think I'll do it here. It won't take too long. Thanksfully it's not a billion lines of code with 100 forms.

Thanks group. I'll chalk this one up to experience.

Don

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.