i want to know if there is any difference betwen java and javascript...
are they the same thing?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

are they the same thing?

no, java has nuffin' to do with javascript.

Member Avatar for nicentral

no, java has nuffin' to do with javascript.

True, but javascript is syntactically, and symantically similar to Java. Java is compiled into bytecode and then run on the Java Virtual Machine. Javascript is interepereted and run by the browser. Javascript also isn't fully OO.

Andy

Java is a programing language, which means it is used for making computer programs as well as many other things.

Java script is a browser scripting language, it is used to enhance web sites. If you want to learn more about it try reading about it at http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp

thanks guys

well im not realy interested for java

i was just curious

Yeh, everything said above is correct.
Javascript is called javascript because when Java was launched it was very popular, and Netscape wanted this popularity to rub off on there web-langauge formerly called livescript, so Sun allowed them to use the name.
In fact even Microsoft went to sun, cause they wanted to use the name for their scripting language, and Sun told em to get lost, lol.
Thats why Microsoft has JScript.

I think Javascript is excellent, it really lets you do stuff with your web pages. Its object-based, since it does use objects, but they are objects at the base, eg window object, navigator object, document object. Java uses objects throughout really.

Allthough they have nothing to do with each other, the language is almost identical. However javascript is loosely typed. You don't need to worry if a variable is an int or a String.

Java is much harder to learn (if you take it further) than javascript, I kind of think of javascript as java for babies.

But I think javascript is well worth learning if you want to make your webpages more dynamic

are they the same thing?

hello dear, there is lot of difference between java and javascript.

java is the progrmming that we write using classes and all.....

where as javascript is a part of the html code which is written for execution of some statements in the browser.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.