Hi... I'm just a beginner in Excel and i have problem concerning building macros... would anyone be willing to give me few tips on how to create and a simple example of a syntax in a macro. Any help will be appreciated... :D

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

*actually im a beginner in building marcos

what do you want to know about creating macros. and are you talking VBA im guessing you are. if you need some help jst ask a specific question. im not good at giving tips but i can help for problems :)

I don't exactly know how write macros... :S and really want to know what the syntax "sub" and all those types stand for... i'd rather u post an example if possible :D

well i will tell you how to to get to the vba stuff when i get to work today as i dont have windows or ms office on my home computers so when i get to work i will help guide you to get to the macro stuff. :)

exactly when do u get to work? Just to let u know... I M WAITING..... :)

sorry about that i got busy at work. and now i dont work till thrusday. and i wont get anytime for awhile to explain everything to you so here is a good tutorial to get you started. if you have any other questions let me know and i will try to help :)
http://spreadsheets.about.com/cs/exceladvanced/a/vba1index.htm

I've got an accounting program I wrote (basically a General Ledger). I
have an option to send the postings to a spreadsheet.

I use a comma delimited file. This works fine.
The user can include up to 6 fields, the last being the amount field.
I want to be able to include a macro or something to total this last column
at the bottom of the spreadsheet, when it is imported.

Any Ideas.
Fields are:
Date, Journal, Reference, Description, Account, Amount

I don't send (currently) any formatting information, just a comma delimited
file with the headings as the first "record"

Thanks in advance for any help.

Got the answer (to my question above) on the PowerBasic forum
add a line
,,,"Totals",,=SUM(F1.F4)

In my case whether I use F or another letter depends on how many
fields are selected by the user (amount if selected will always be last).
the 1 and 4 are replaced with beginning record number and ending record
number +2
(I actually use Val(EndRec$)-Val(BegRec$)+3
Then I simply change the width on the description and amount fields (in excel after importing) and viola.

BegRec$ is the beginning record selected by the user from the data file,
etc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.