Hello:

I am seeking a few tips in regards to debugging: I have been using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition for the last few months but am not very comfortable with its debugging platform. I simply wish to step through a section of the program via breakpoints and view variable values; How can I set this to do so, show a variable's value-- a watch? At this point, I see no visible output regarding breakpoint findings.

I keep getting a reference to "ostream" and a display of its contents-- this is not helpful for me at this point (too much information, I believe) and I honestly cannot make much of the ostream coding. I am not sure why the compiler is doing this. There must be an important reason (I wish to understand this, too).

Thank-you in advance for any help.

sharky_machine:)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This thread most probably discusses your problem. Go through it and see if it has the solution.

This thread most probably discusses your problem. Go through it and see if it has the solution.

WolfPack:

Thank-you for you reply. I tried a few things from the suggested thread. In reference to the anti-virus consideration-- that sounds unusual-- I did not try it, but I appreciate the info.

Basically I found out that by simply rolling over the variable the "datatip" cursor-tooltip shows me the value of the variable (and quite a strange value it is, maybe "garbage", which does not make sense with what I am doing)

As far as ostream goes, I just ignore it and try to work around it ;)

Thanks again.

sharky_machine

Well, then that means you can pause the program when it hits the breakpoint. So I guess this should do. Just google for "Visual C++ Debugging" or something on that lines, and you should get a load of material.

<<"In reference to the anti-virus consideration-- that sounds unusual-- I did not try it, but I appreciate the info."

>>I know it sounds unusual, but, it did solve my problem. ;)

By the way, thanks for that link Wolfpack, seems I didn't use the proper search words for that kind of tutorial :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.