isnt it because xp dropped support for 16 bit DOS apps

isnt it because xp dropped support for 16 bit DOS apps

Nein, dass ist nicht richtig. see Microsloth Help and Support 314495 You can run a dos exe in "compatibility mode" just right click on the exe and click "Properties" then select the Compatibility tab. You have to tinker a bit sometimes but I am running a 16 bit wordprocessor fullscreen for NaNoWriMo.

Hello,
I used QBasic as an Engineer in the 1980s and am now retired. I am resurrecting one of my proprietary programs in hopes of earning some extra retirement income. I ran into the print problems you may be experiencing but found a solution. Please reply and I will tell you more.
John
John-Lamb@nc.rr.com

Actually going from qbasic to VB is not all that difficult. You will be surprised how much faster you can make programs.

Actually going from qbasic to VB is not all that difficult. You will be surprised how much faster you can make programs.

I just found out about Visual Basic Express 2008. I have downloaded this Free program and have sat through a couple of the Tutorials. I see where there is a lot of similarities in the Structure with QBasic as far as the Code goes. Do you think I might be able to self-teach VB to myself using what resources there are on the Internet or should I take the time and money to enroll in a Visual Basic Programming Course at the local Community College? I am retired and just looking for some way to combine the enjoyment and challenge of programming with the possibility of making some mad money on the side.

VB is fairly easy to learn. I taught it to myself just fine.

If you want a good intro to VB maybe take a look at "Visual Basic 2005 Step By Step" by "Microsoft Press". Its for the full version but 90% of it is the same in express. Fairly simply stuff and should be a good intro to VB. I used it to change from VB6 (old) to the new VB.NET

VB is fairly easy to learn. I taught it to myself just fine.

If you want a good intro to VB maybe take a look at "Visual Basic 2005 Step By Step" by "Microsoft Press". Its for the full version but 90% of it is the same in express. Fairly simply stuff and should be a good intro to VB. I used it to change from VB6 (old) to the new VB.NET

Is Visual Basic 2005 Step By Step a Book or Internet Article? Should I purchase the Visual Basic Text Book to help teach myself?

I have the printer plugged in to the parallel port, and I can print to it
with windows programs. It is connected to the LP1 port in the windows menu.
But, when I try to LPRINT in QBASIC , nothing happens.

Please help!

This is a old thread, I know, but I just stumbled upon it and it didn't seem to have a solution, so here it is people.....

QBASIC is fine under any Microsoft OS after MS-DOS 5 as one user stated, this is true. However, in the Windows platforms, QBASIC is running in a "DOS WIndow". While this isn't true DOS on NT platforms (i.e. Windows 2000 / XP), it does maintain DOS I/O standards. Put simply, QBASIC is designed to LPRINT to DOS compatible printers. Some are, but most newer ones are not. I have a old HP Laserjet that is MS-DOS compatible over Parallel cable (LPT1: port). I also have a old HP Deskjet 540 that is MS-DOS compatible. Interesting though, the Windows NT drivers for these prints does NOT support MS-DOS printing so the LPRINT text does nothing. However, the Win95/98 drivers have a MS-DOS printing option (some sort of pass-through.) In these operating systems, QBASIC, GWBASIC, QuickBASIC, etc. all LPRINT just fine on these printers.

Newer printers have controllers inside them that are "stripped" of MS-DOS compatibility. They require the specific Windows drivers for them to operate and, unfortunately, many vendors are not including a "MS-DOS passthrough" capability. These printers, even the ones with parallel hookups, wont work with QBASIC even in plain old MS-DOS.

I found a couple of Programs that will print QBasic output to any Windows based printer. They are PRINTFIL and DOSPRN. Of the two, I had the best success with DOSPRN. You can take a test drive by going to the Web Site and downloading a sample version. The Program costs only $ 14.95. There is about a 1 minute delay from the time the program ends until the output prints, but, otherwise, it works fine. Be sure to fill out the Configuration Screen before you use it, i.e. type of Font, Characters per inch, Margins for page, etc.
Good Luck, John

This is a old thread, I know, but I just stumbled upon it and it didn't seem to have a solution, so here it is people.....

QBASIC is fine under any Microsoft OS after MS-DOS 5 as one user stated, this is true. However, in the Windows platforms, QBASIC is running in a "DOS WIndow". While this isn't true DOS on NT platforms (i.e. Windows 2000 / XP), it does maintain DOS I/O standards. Put simply, QBASIC is designed to LPRINT to DOS compatible printers. Some are, but most newer ones are not. I have a old HP Laserjet that is MS-DOS compatible over Parallel cable (LPT1: port). I also have a old HP Deskjet 540 that is MS-DOS compatible. Interesting though, the Windows NT drivers for these prints does NOT support MS-DOS printing so the LPRINT text does nothing. However, the Win95/98 drivers have a MS-DOS printing option (some sort of pass-through.) In these operating systems, QBASIC, GWBASIC, QuickBASIC, etc. all LPRINT just fine on these printers.

Newer printers have controllers inside them that are "stripped" of MS-DOS compatibility. They require the specific Windows drivers for them to operate and, unfortunately, many vendors are not including a "MS-DOS passthrough" capability. These printers, even the ones with parallel hookups, wont work with QBASIC even in plain old MS-DOS.

"sighs" , I couldnt help myself with this one guys, ok listen. This doesnt have to do with windows NTVDM(dos emulation). Its more of a protected mode IOPL problem. Ill spare the underlying details that have to deal with windows kernel funtions and editing TSS bitmaps(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_State_Segment), anyway, there is a program called porttalk, look it up, basically it loads a driver that allows setting of the permissions, you could open all ports(bad idea) or just pick the ones you need, since its a printer on an lpt port base address is usually 0x378, so cop the porttalk driver, get the allowio.exe file, run your qbasic program with some context switches like(not sure if this is correct but its close) allowio.exe 0x378 qbasicprog.exe, like i said, its something like that, there may be some context switches in there, the program will likely spit out a usage page if you just run allowio.exe, anyway, it will work im sure, have fun :)

Hi dprescott01...Welcome to Daniweb friend.
you can introduce your self in Community Introduction.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.