Hello everyone. If you're a regular Perl user you might already know this; the developers of Perl 6 are using a prototype version of the Perl 6 interpreter written in Haskell to do various "proof of principle" testing. It's called Pugs (maybe a pun on the Haskell interpreter Hugs). However, the developers' website states that a parallel project called Parrot is the "final target for the Perl 6 interpreter". Parrot is written in C and does sound quite cool, as its designed to compile various languages (including Perl 6) into a common bytecode.

But my question is, why not stick with Haskell as the dev language for the production Perl 6 interpreter? I don't have anything against C, except that it seems to be used for building all and sundry. If the developers have found that another language provides a usefull platform for development, why not be diverse and stick with it? I know some might say that C allows the most portable programs to be written, but I think this can be true of various languages if they have good enough libraries bundled with them. Just my opinion. What do others think?

Steven.

you might want to post that question on the perlmonks site to get answers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.