I'm new to vb.net though I've done a fair bit of work in vb6. My problem is this. I have a form with two tabcontrols and on the tab pages are text boxes, group boxes, check boxes, etc. for entering parameters. While I'm developing using debuggging in vb.net 2005, each time I run the project the controls shrink and move to the left. I understand the vb.net resizes controls according to the fonts used but I haven't changed any fonts and anyway, why would they be moved even if they are resized. I'll resize a control and 2-3 debug sessions later it is unusable because the width is too small to read or enter text. Is there a setting I don't know about?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

This is odd do you have any code so I can see what you mean?

This is odd do you have any code so I can see what you mean?

The code is large (10000 lines) - adapted from the vb6 project. However, the only sizing/resizing I do is what vb.net does for me to load/initialize controls and when the form resize event is fired. I'll share the latter here:

[vbcode]

Private Sub Main_Resize()

' this tab control is the one giving me trouble and nothing else on the tab control is resized by code

With TabControl2
.Width = Me.Width - 18
End With

With TabControl1
.Width = Me.Width - 18
.Height = Me.Height - TabControl2.Height - 80
End With

With zgProbability
.Width = TabControl1.Width - 12
.Height = TabControl1.Height - 45
End With

With zgHistogram
End With

With zgBox
End With

With zgAnnualBox
End With

With zgSeasonalBox
End With

With zgMonthlyBox
End With

With zgTimeSeries
.Height = TabControl1.Height - 82
End With

Me.Visible = True
With zgMaster
Me.Visible = True
End With

With dgSummary
End With

With dgData
End With

With dgModel
.Width = Me.TabControl1.Width - 12
' .Height = TabControl1.Height - 45
End With

end sub

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I need more than that. Code I can actually test and compile.

Cheers. If you could upload some pictures as well.

Are you saving your settings? If so that is why it keeps getting smaller with each session. I see a lot of resizing in your code. If the tab control is made smaller then the other controls on it are made smaller. Something in your code is changing the size of the tab control and the changes are saved to use again.

thankz guys

Are you saving your settings? If so that is why it keeps getting smaller with each session. I see a lot of resizing in your code. If the tab control is made smaller then the other controls on it are made smaller. Something in your code is changing the size of the tab control and the changes are saved to use again.

I don't know that I'm saving any settings. The code is saved each time changes are made and the debugging session starts, but I'm not sure about settings. How is this done?

As far as I know the only resizing that is done is when the form initiates or if I physically resize the form by dragging the lower right corner. Is the fact that if the tabcontrol changes size all the other controls change size a feature? or a bug?

iamthwee is right, we need more code to analize. Take out any code you don't want to show. If it is large enough zip it.

iamthwee is right, we need more code to analize. Take out any code you don't want to show. If it is large enough zip it.

I appreciate your interest in this - it's not just the code, it's the 500 Mb database that it works from and the third party controls that need to be installed on the developer's machine. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who's had a similar problem and found a solution. I could cut it all down but then it would be a different project and may not generate the error - it'd take me a few days...

I'm having the same issue in VB2005 and I've got no resize code at all. Any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.