As you probably have already read, i am new to c/c++. I have a simple little question, as i am not sure what happens in c/c++.

If i were to start using Visual C++ Express 2005, would some of that knowledge work with something that is not visual? I know that this is a dumb question, but i really want to be sure.

Basically what i am asking is, if i learn VC++, would i be confined to just VC++, or could i use my knowledge of what i learn in VC++ on other things such as the GCC compiler, or other things. (i know that it won't be able to do the graphics, or the things like "windows.bla.bla" stuff, but other things like loops and math and whatnot).

Sorry if this is a dumb/poor question (and sorry for apologising so much), but i am really worried. I only know QBASIC, and that is out-of-date. I am afraid of getting behind in programming advanced(as i already am)...

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Depends what you plan to learn with it. If you learn true, standard C/C++, then yes, you can transfer this to any compiler and it should work, not just a Microsoft compiler.

If you decide to learn .NET framework or MFC, you're going to be confined to Microsoft. Should you decide that you want to do Windows programming, but just use the plain Win API, then you can use pretty much any Windows compiler. And just so that you know, there's not pretty way of making a UI that's completely portable (sure there are libraries like WxWidgets, but that is uuuugly).

Hope this helps

I recommend that you start with standard C/C++ like joeprogrammer mentioned, and just get used to the language and its constructs. Afterwards you can familiarize yourself with specific libraries if you so desire.

Ok... How hard is it to REALLY learn the Windows API? I played with it a bit, but it looked complex... I have a time frame to learn C++ from now to the end of the semester here (may 7)... So would the Windoz API be best?

I am pretty good a learning code quick, so i THINK it MAY be possible...

Ok... How hard is it to REALLY learn the Windows API? I played with it a bit, but it looked complex... I have a time frame to learn C++ from now to the end of the semester here (may 7)... So would the Windoz API be best?

I am pretty good a learning code quick, so i THINK it MAY be possible...

When I first looked at a basic "hello world" program written with the Windows API, I was like "wow, that's a lot of code!" But after learning what everything meant and some of the concepts of Windows programming, I began to learn that much of that code is simply your framework, or base code, for your project.

Learning the basic Windows API isn't too hard. But it also depends what you want to do with it. A complex word-processor may not be the easiest interface to write with the API (not to mention all the frameworks that you would have to write). But sure, if you're willing to take the time, go ahead and do it. But not before you're decent with C and C++.

Well then... I guess i am in for one helz of a semester then, huh? :)

What is the semseter teaching you and what former knowledge do they assume? If this is beginning programming, then you most likely won't even go into Windows API programming, and even if you do, it's highly unlikely that it will get complex.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

If you decide to learn .NET framework ... you're going to be confined to Microsoft.

Quite, although have you heard about mono. I was reading about it when I tried to get my linux box up and running.

What is the semseter teaching you and what former knowledge do they assume?

It is for biology class!! :) Ha! My school doesn't offer a program class, or even an electronics class! Ugh... If i had a nickel for everytime i bugged the school board... In order to get an "A" in that class, we have to do a semester project. It doesn't matter what it is, just so it has something to do with biology. I have no idea what i am going to do yet, but i know i am going to program something... I was thinking like a universal game engine (jeopardy), or an "advanced" graph plotter...

All i need to do is start learning the windoz api, and then i will be on the right path...

If you are ready to put in this much effort, then why not learn an API which is portable and which can be programmed in a multitude of languages. Something like wxWidgets and the likes.

Quite, although have you heard about mono. I was reading about it when I tried to get my linux box up and running.

Actually, no. I'm quite interested and will look into this. Thanks.

Yup. I am learning the API. I found a nice tutorial (www.winprog.com/tutorial)... I am learning! :) I now know the *BASIC* structure of a window$

Does anyone have a help file with the Windows API stuff in it? I have searched, but have not found any (atleast ones with working links...)

The best one I know of is the MSDN library. Of course, there's tons of other sites that document the WinAPI in detail, so you by no means have to go to MSDN, but it's probably the most official since it's made by Microsoft. ;)

I am not a huge fan of the MSDN site... It is FREAKISHLY slow. I was actually thinking of an offline option...

I did find a documentation on it, as well as the .hlp file... I will post the link if i can find it again...

Does anyone have a help file with the Windows API stuff in it? I have searched, but have not found any (atleast ones with working links...)

I am not a huge fan of the MSDN site... It is FREAKISHLY slow. I was actually thinking of an offline option...

So buy a book. There are many available...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.