I am going to start off with Java, already knowing C/C++
So i needed to know which compiler should i download for the purpose of programming on Java ( for the Windows platform). (which consists of the editor, compiler,etc.)
I need something i can download from the internet like Dev C++ for C/C++ programming. Also whats the best place of learning Java through the internet since I am doing it own my own.
Thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

simply go to java.sun.com, then to the downloads section for j2se/jse (however they are naming it now) and download the newest (the current link) or not more than one down from that.

TIJ I personally would NOT recommend. IMO it's poorly written and teaches some bad practices.

Best get some excellent books instead.
Head First Java is probably the best book to learn Java from as a total beginner.
Or (as you already have programming experience, making most beginners' books and tutorials too basic), buy Sun's SL-275 course.
Available as classroom training, web based, or CD-ROM, it's excellent value for money.
http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/WJB-275A.xml

TIJ I personally would NOT recommend. IMO it's poorly written and teaches some bad practices.

Refer a couple of them to me so that I could remember not to mention it while replying somewhere. :cheesy:

commented: This forum is about helping people and moking them +0

Refer a couple of them to me so that I could remember not to mention it while replying somewhere. :cheesy:

I see that somebody considers this post of mine as a mockery. It may have been due to me not being a native English speaker or me posting the wrong smilie. But I would genuinely wish to know the specifics about the references mentioned about "Thinking in Java" for my own knowledge. If someone would be kind enough to elaborate...

Can't recall them from the top of my head, it's been a few years since I read it.

But overall it left a taste of teaching bad practices.

I guess I'll try reading teh book again. It might be an interesting study and a good topic to discuss practices. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.