I just got a new computer which has windows vista on it. My internet server is Piper which is not compatible with the new windows programme. The guy at piper said it was a common compatibilty problem with alot of software and the new vista programme. Should I just change my internet provider ( and if so what to ? ) or what ? Seems a bit ridiculous that currys would sell me a computer that wasn't compatible with alot of software yet.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

do you mean Pipex? not piper?

Many ISP's that claim not to be compatibile actually are you just need to do z=some searching

I just got a new computer which has windows vista on it. My internet server is Piper which is not compatible with the new windows programme. The guy at piper said it was a common compatibilty problem with alot of software and the new vista programme. Should I just change my internet provider ( and if so what to ? ) or what ? Seems a bit ridiculous that currys would sell me a computer that wasn't compatible with alot of software yet.

Hi Catherine,

I'm actually employed by DSGi (parent company of currys), the vast majority of ISP's are windows vista compatible, however a small minority of them sadly aren't. In which case i'd recomend using a DSL router to replace the modem they've given you, this should also eliminate the need to use the non-vista compatible software. I'm sure if you spoke to pipex they'll sort you something out; be it or DSL router or maybe just a newer version of the software.

Windows vista was available in the industry long before it was released to the public, therefore pipex would of had plenty of time to test their current release of software with the new OS.

The rep from pipex that you spoke to seemed to be aware of the above issue, i'm surpised that they didn't offer you a solution?

hope this helps,

Dazza :cool:

i use pipex with vista and other oses just fine here in the UK

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.