Hi All,

My First Post! And I'm not a student in school or college.

This is a long story, but I will give you a synopsis of why I'm here:

Another charge nurses . . . duty of creating the monthly schedule . . . other nurses . . . didn't like . . . complained to unit manager . . . the manager decided . . . all would take their turn.

My wife asked me if I could do something with my programming "skills". :?:

I had two classes of Visual Basic (Visual Basic and Advance Visual Basic), at our local community college, and neither one were real-world experiences.

Since graduating from college I haven't had much time to continue my love of Visual Basic, except on a small scale. :rolleyes:

I would be using/having at my disposal VSFlexGrid Pro 8.0 - ESD - Full Version

I paid $395. for it about 3 years ago and I haven't had the chance to use it, yet.:rolleyes:

Specifications are as follows:

There are 20 nurses (two floors) on the Mental Health ward of our local hospital.

A minimum of 13, both floors combined, are required to fill all 3 shift (5 on 7-3, 5 on 3-11 and 3 on 11-7) – 24/7.

There are 3 who work only 11 – 7, with two (2) different days off each week which is written in stone.

There is 1 who works a steady Tues. – Sat. 3 – 11 which is written in stone.

All the others work a rotating schedule of 7-3, 3-11 and 11-7.

There are those who work only 2 – 12 hour shift each weekend, alternating, from 7am – 7pm or 7pm – 7am on Saturday & Sunday.

Major holidays: Christmas and New Years. The 2 groups (Nurses & Crisis Facilitators) are given a choice of either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (first come/first serve).
The same option applies to New Year's Eve and Day.

With regards to the hospitals other holidays, the program will be required to check who had it off the previous year and pick another "winner".

There are full-time, part-time and casual and each nurse has a different number of days off each week. They can also request days off, which have to be in 2 weeks before next month’s schedule is started.

Can the program automatically fill in the required time slots (7-3, 3-11, 11-7) based on the information stored in tables, text files or other affordable storage avenues?

Will it be a resonding Yes or No? If it is a yes, then I only want guidane/hints as to what to do. Just guidance/suggestions. What to read up on. I want to do this with only your help. I need to learn how to code properly.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

vbprogramrman
(Robert B. Orris)

PS

How I see the program working in my head.

I only see the possibility of using text file with Random Access. My only problem is that each week, except those written in stone, the days off have to be different.

The Attachment is a rough draft of a flow chart. Please excuse my first attempt since Programming Logic many moons ago.

Thank you!!

Member Avatar for yerbol

Absolutely the program can do that. I's just the logic that needs to be created following all the rules you've stated here.

You will have to set all those constraints probably using nested if statements ans select cases.

P.S: That's a neat decision tree :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.