Hi, I have been looking all over google for a freaking tutorial on code caving. The problem however, 1,000 results shown are crap (I'm sure everyone's shared the same experience).

Anyone know of a published tutorial on the concept? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think you need a tutorial on the use of search engines...
Use Google to look for one :)

So I take it the only reason for you responding to this thread was to increase your post count? I'm looking for a tutorial for code caving because I receive multiple requests on my website; however I do not have time to write one. I was hoping by going out of my way and find a published tutorial to link to would suffice.

I would have suspected (must be due to ignorance) a moderator of this board would be more keen on helping someone, not flex his ego.

Code caving creates a supplanting vector to user-controlled data sets, and is usually a game hacking technique, it's also used in exploits.

Therefore, it's usually an asm code block.
More than that is totally game-specific and platform-specific information that you'd only get at gaming cheat sites that had forums dedicated to a specific game/platform.

I'd search for the game of interest and platform and the word 'hack' or 'cheat'.

If it not a game thing read:
Shellcoder's Handbook by Jack Koziol
considered to be basic source for what you're discussing. ie. commandeering a process's data set to control it.

So I take it the only reason for you responding to this thread was to increase your post count? I'm looking for a tutorial for code caving because I receive multiple requests on my website; however I do not have time to write one. I was hoping by going out of my way and find a published tutorial to link to would suffice.

I would have suspected (must be due to ignorance) a moderator of this board would be more keen on helping someone, not flex his ego.

Considering only his post count, I would say JWenting is a more honoured member at 100 times your post count. Add to that you haven't been here for 1.5 years, you have no reason to snipe a one of our senior members simply because you feel his response was of no help to you. I for one felt it was justified as I found answers on my first Google attempt. Based on your response here, you have nothing to complain about...

Keep it respectful. Infractions are easy to receive.

Code caving creates a supplanting vector to user-controlled data sets...

Thank you for your response, I'm going to look into the handbook you mentioned.

Add to that you haven't been here for 1.5 years

Actually it's two years this month. You said you found several tutorials after one search, did you happen to click on the links to read what they said? Nothing related right? Google is full of SEO champs with no information related to your search. I'm sure you'll learn about it more if you ever deside to open your own website, if you haven't already.

Oh, and my response to that thread was on topic, precise, and informative like I always am (yes I can be arrogant as well ;)).

I wanted to edit my last post, however I couldn't find the edit button (I can't wait for the responses to that). However I found a good tutorial regarding code caving. Just as jim mcnamera stated however, it is related to game hacking so hopefully by posting the link I'm not breaking a rule in regards to the subject matter (I feel someone on this board will find the link interesting just as so on mine).

http://www.gamebugs.org/code/4794-darawks-tutorials.html

did you try googling for "code caving" - that gave me many results

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.