I have a question.

Eventually, I mean when I can code. I want to write tools for a 3d program called Maya. I dont know if you guys are familiar with it or heard of it. I was wondering if Dev is going to cut it, cause I also need to built interactive windows for it not just code. And also want to know if Dev would be compatible with it. Or it does not matter what compiler I use?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

It doesn't really matter what compiler you use, although Microsoft compilers are better at building MS-Windows GUI programs then Dev-C++. Current version of Borland C++ may be ok too, but I've never used it.

Why?

And if I have to switch form Dev to Microsoft, is that going to be a real pain in the ars?

Why?

And if I have to switch form Dev to Microsoft, is that going to be a real pain in the ars?

Microsoft compilers are better than Dev-C++ -- by that I mean they produce tighter and faster executables. Also Microsoft created the OS with their own compilers so by definition M$ compilers are fully compatible with their os. Thirdly when you buy a M$ compiler you get a lot of stuff with it that is not available to any other compiler, such as it has a great IDE that helps you code for the os.

>Why?
Maybe because the compiler's vendor is the same as the operating system's vendor? Also, Dev-C++ was built more for console applications, so it doesn't have the "goodies" like .NET and high-quality interface builders that speed up GUI development.

>And if I have to switch form Dev to Microsoft, is that going to be a real pain in the ars?
As with any tool-switching, there is a transition period required. You'll likely find that there are way more switches and buttons in Visual Studio than in Dev-C++, but you get used to it fairly quick.

Could I cide something in Dev then copy paste to Visiual Studio. And compile?

>Could I cide something in Dev then copy paste to Visiual Studio. And compile?
Generally yes, although converting resources such as dialogs are not the easiest... But regular code should not be an issue.

What are dialogs?

My profesor says that Visual has a lot of mombojambo. Maybe he means for bigeners?
Or does he?

What are dialogs?

My profesor says that Visual has a lot of mombojambo. Maybe he means for bigeners?
Or does he?

yes, he means for beginners. I do not suggest VS compilers for beginners because they are somewhat compilcated to use. Dev-C++ is better for learning the language.

And you should not attempt to write windows GUI applications either until you have a firm understanding of the C or C++ languages.

Microsoft compilers are no harder to use than any other...
It's just a different interface, with different commandline arguments and command names.
The language itself is identical, though of course libraries will differ (and there Microsoft maintains the standard when it comes to Windows programming...).

What's so difficult about typing "cl" instead of "gcc" that makes Visual C++ too hard for beginners???

its the IDE that is more difficult, not command-line builds. We don't all build programs as if we still lived in the dark ages :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.