i have a whole 2 days programming experience under my belt and i wanna do something with lots of pretty colours......

i understand i probably don't know enough yet to get into graphics - but not only do i not know how to do graphics, i'm not entirely sure what it is i should know.

so i was hoping someone here could nudge me in the right direction... i have about a years experience in a basic so its not like programming is entirely new to me (although yabasic was not exactly challenging), and i've also completed the tutorials that came with my compiler (Bloodshed Dev-Cpp 4.9.7.0).

all i'm after is where i should start reading first (cos on my own it'd take me forever to find what i'm after - most tutorials and sites don't even have a sentence on graphics) and maybe the most fundamental points if they are not too far ahead of me just now.

thanks for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Greetings.
Graphics umm, with C/C++?
I have learnt some OpenGL with C++. Open GL can do great stuffs.
Not sure what are the advantages/disadvantages of it but it's fun learning openGL.

Hi everyone,
Since you have already learned the basic language, you can try programming languages like open4gL or rapid-q as both these compilers go quite heavily into graphics especially rapid-q which includes a very good tutorial on the graphics part in which they integrate anim8or

Your Sincerely

Richard West

Graphics eh?

Well this is fun stuff but I would rather tell you to get fimiliar with C++ and OOP concepts like funtions,classes,structures,pointers,memory management etc... before getting to graphics.That way you will be able to do graphics more easily and with much less code.

OpenGL is a bit too much since you will have to do a bit of windows code.But you can sure try Mode13h.Its a very simple graphics mode and you can do it via dos mode without any windows GUI code.

Links
-----
http://www.brackeen.com/home/vga/ - a very good site for Mode13h programming

I dont know how to get into Mode13h in Dev-C++,but there is much info on the above site on Mode13h.You can use TurboC from Borland which is available for free,or even another compiler.

The steps to draw pixels are simple and the same once you find a way to get into Mode13h.Then you can use any algorithm to draw lines,circles,display bitmaps etc.

:)

Well this is fun stuff but I would rather tell you to get fimiliar with C++ and OOP concepts like funtions,classes,structures,pointers,memory management etc... before getting to graphics.That way you will be able to do graphics more easily and with much less code.

i've already done everything on these areas that the tutorial i have touches on. i understand that there is probably a mind-bogglingly huge amount that i still need to learn at that i've only just touched upon, let alone scratched, the surface - but since pretty graphics are my ultimate goal i want to focus my learning in that direction. if i just try learning 'everything else in general' i could spend a lot of time learning things that, while useful, don't lead me in the direction i want to go.

via dos mode without any windows GUI code.

sounds like a perfect place to start. :D

thanks everyone for your help.

same here!
Godbless+

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.