Hi. I have just recently bought Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2005. It came with 14 CD's, which are
SQL server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit (2 cd's)
SQL server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit (2 cd's)
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Pro Ed Academic (2 cd's)
MSDN library for Visual Studio System (3 cd's)
MSDN library for Visual Studio System (3 cd's) again for some reason
SQL server 2005 developer edition 32-bit (2 cd's)

My question is what is the difference between all these cd's, and what do I need to install on my PC at home. I am going to school for programming, and will be using it for schoolwork for languages such as C, C++, JAVA, and Visual Basic.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. I have just recently bought Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2005. It came with 14 CD's, which are
SQL server 2005 Developer Edition 64-bit (2 cd's)
SQL server 2005 Developer Edition IA 64-bit (2 cd's)
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Pro Ed Academic (2 cd's)
MSDN library for Visual Studio System (3 cd's)
MSDN library for Visual Studio System (3 cd's) again for some reason
SQL server 2005 developer edition 32-bit (2 cd's)

My question is what is the difference between all these cd's, and what do I need to install on my PC at home. I am going to school for programming, and will be using it for schoolwork for languages such as C, C++, JAVA, and Visual Basic.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This would be better answered by your instructors for your classes, but since you have said what you're going to school for, you'll probably need to install Visual Studio Pro and when you do, you will be given checkbox options to install Visual C++, Visual java and SQL Express. You will also be given the opportunity to install your MSDN support software, or you can use the Online MSDN support. MSDN support software is updated quarterly for subscribers and constantly online. The disks you have may be from different quarters.

You should have gotten a silibus that will tell you exactly what you'll be needing.

If you plan on developing in SQL, you'll need your developer software. By the way Academic Software can't be used for commercial development. You'll have to buy a full retail or some type of MSDN, ISV subscription to develop commercial software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.