Hi, I am new to VB so go gentle with me. I am using VisualStudio 2005 VB (team edition).

It's been a real pain finding examples of retrieving webpage data from a website given a URL (plenty of examples that don't work in visual studio sigh) but I have achieved it to some extent using:
WinHttpReq.Open and WinHttpReq.Send.

My problem is, is that what if the website requires you to login 1st before you can retrieve the data you're interested in? Is this possible within a Visual Studio VB app. Is there a way in the url itself or a library call?

If I login to the site manually (via IE) and say 'remember me', whenever I then reload the page I'm interested in from my bookmark I go straight to the page of interest, but VB doesn't seem to want to use the cookie and instead I get the login screen webpage contents.

I hope I make sense lol.

Thanks for any words of wisdom, if you know how to do it, could you demonstrate in code as well as English. Thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I neglected to mention that the login page that it sends me to is: http://secure.xxxxxxx.com/logon.jsp

I don't want to keep trying in vain, as there is a warning on it that invalid attempts to login may result in legal action, so want to get my app right sharpish lol.

Actually it doesn't matter if I tell you the site, it is:
http://secure.metoffice.com/logon.jsp

I basically want my app to login automatically (using my registered username and password) and then extract info from one of their pages.

Thanks Veena, I was searching this code for many Days, and Believe me, I searched every Site Related to Vb6 and FAILED!!!

Thanks again, u r a Life Saver!!!!

Regards
Sukhdev

Thanks Veena, appreciate your help...

Thanks Veena, I was searching this code for many Days, and Believe me, I searched every Site Related to Vb6 and FAILED!!!

Thanks again, u r a Life Saver!!!!

Regards
Sukhdev

Hi Veena, Sukhdev & elmes100

sorry but the link is dead, and can somebody pls send me the code to conenct to a webpage which requires to login through vb6. thanks in advance
kal_leo@hotmail.com

Kal

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.