Hi all,

I want to create a script file which builds my projects in VC++, C#, VB and .NET.
When i build a component by command line it gives error for the dependent libraries. How can i give the option or specify path for the libraries and include files to build a specific project in command line.
I tried the given below command for a vb project.
>vb6.exe /reference:"c:\abc.dll" /MAKE "C:\myproject.vbp"
but it says invalid command line arguement /reference. i replaced it with /r but the same error persists. Also i tried for/lib option but no success.

Please let me know what are the options to specify these includes in command line for various projects (vc++,C#,vb,net)

Thanks in advance,
Meena

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

>Please let me know what are the options to specify these includes in command line for various
>projects (vc++,C#,vb,net)
Is MSDN down, or something? I'd like to believe that you're smart enough to check the reference for your compiler before asking a question that will be answered with "RTFM!". :icon_rolleyes:

hi,

thanx for replying but i din't get you. If you mean to say that i should have searched msdn, then i did that but dint get much from that. If you have the solution, please let me know.

thanks in advance,
Meena

This is an interesting thread that talks about command-line compiles

>i did that but dint get much from that
Really. I'll be the first to admit that MSDN's search feature sucks ass, but not when it comes to compiler options. However, since you're either not being completely honest or you're just not very good at doing research, I'll link you directly to a couple to prove that MSDN does indeed have the information you're looking for:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6s2x2bzy(VS.71).aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/19z1t1wy(VS.80).aspx

thanx for the msdn link. but i already mentioned in my first post that i did try using /reference and /lib options but the error thrown was "invalid command line argument."
After that next error thrown was "Can't find project or library file".
on opening the project in IDE and there specifying the references for the missing dlls, the project gets compiled successfully. after saving and exiting from IDE and then building it from command prompt give the error.

>but i already mentioned in my first post that i did try using /reference and
>/lib options but the error thrown was "invalid command line argument."
And your example also showed that you're using the VB6 compiler, which is extremely likely to have different command line switches. My links showed the C# and C++ options, respectively.

>on opening the project in IDE and there specifying the references
>for the missing dlls, the project gets compiled successfully
Then check your project properties. IIRC, Visual Studio 6 does indeed show you the complete list of command line switches built from the options you've selected in the advanced properties. You can cut and paste that into the command prompt and it should produce an identical build.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.