Have you ever used Quincy 2005 for writing and compiling your c++ codes? Quincy 2005 is simply an open source IDE for c/c++. It's simple. However, this application frequently gives me a headache.

What I can describe from this IDE is it is unstable, clearly unstable. Recently, I worked on a program which I wrote in my laptop computer. It worked okay. But when I compiled it in another computer with exactly the same version of Quincy, it gave me runtime error everytime I compiled. I think there was something wrong with the object files created by the compilation. I had no solution for this.

This application often crashes in the middle of work, leaving unsaved files that you are working on. Really annoying.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>>it gave me runtime error everytime I compi
Impossible. Compiling a program can not produce runtime errors-- such errors are called compile time errors. Only running the executable program can product runtime errors.

If that compiler gives you so much grief why use it? Toss it into the bit bucket and get a different free IDE, such as Microsoft VC++ 2005 Express or Dev-C++.

Impossible. Compiling a program can not produce runtime errors-- such errors are called compile time errors. Only running the executable program can product runtime errors.

Oh, well... I mean after re-compiling in different computer, I executed the .exe file and it gave me runtime error, which is not found when I executed the .exe file produced by compiling in my laptop. Does it have something to do with memory leak or out-of-bound array? Since they usually cause runtime error.

The reason I'm still using this Quincy is because it is the default IDE used in my university. Everybody uses it. I've tried using Dev-C++, and it is much pleasing than Quincy. However, while working on school assignments, it is annoying to find that project files created by dev-c++ doesn't work on Quincy. It is just inconvenient for me. Furthermore, when I transfered my work from Quincy to Dev-C++, it gives me cluttered tabbing and it's annoying to fix the placement. This makes the codes untidy.

Oh, well... I mean after re-compiling in different computer, I executed the .exe file and it gave me runtime error, which is not found when I executed the .exe file produced by compiling in my laptop. Does it have something to do with memory leak or out-of-bound array? Since they usually cause runtime error.

The reason I'm still using this Quincy is because it is the default IDE used in my university. Everybody uses it. I've tried using Dev-C++, and it is much pleasing than Quincy. However, while working on school assignments, it is annoying to find that project files created by dev-c++ doesn't work on Quincy. It is just inconvenient for me. Furthermore, when I transfered my work from Quincy to Dev-C++, it gives me cluttered tabbing and it's annoying to fix the placement. This makes the codes untidy.

There are lots of things that could cause that behavior. I understand why you use that compiler. Post the code and maybe someone can help figure out the problem.

I agree. Your first assumption should be that there is a bug in your code, especially if you're using widely available tools.

Post some code if you're still stuck.

Remember, running != bug free.

> it gives me cluttered tabbing and it's annoying to fix the placement.
1. IIRC, dev-c++ has an option to change the default tab width.
2. If you set all your IDEs to always use spaces, then the whole problem of your code looking different in different editors goes away.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.