hi everyone

I wanna to ask about calculation of 2-D array address I remember that equation that can do this

for an array, char a[R][C];

Address of an element a[N][M]; = baseAddress + elementSize * (N*C+ M);

Is it right?? :)

Other thing, is it deferent if the array is lower or upper triangular, or the same way by substituting missing elements by zeros??
e.g.

1 15 20
3 30

Any help I would appreciate ..

>Is it right??
In theory. In practice it's more like this:

*( *( baseAddress + N ) + M )

Why? Because a two dimensional array isn't required to be strictly contiguous in memory. Pick any teacher and they'll tell you that the storage for a two dimensional array is just a one dimensional array that uses special subscripting rules like the one you posted. And that's true, to a point. The elements of an array are required to be contiguous, but at the boundaries of a one dimensional array, all bets are off.

It's because of this boundary rule that you can't portably treat a multidimensional array as a single dimensional array and use a mathematical formula to index it. So while the N*C+M example helps one to understand how multidimensional arrays work, it's not something you should be using in your code.

>Other thing, is it deferent if the array is lower or upper triangular, or
>the same way by substituting missing elements by zeros??
An array is an array. How you use the indices to represent your data doesn't change that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.