int *function2( int array[ ]); or
int *function2( int *ptr );
/* parameters names can be omitted */
main{
int n[]= {4, 5, 6};
int *kptr ;
kptr = function2( n ) ;
}

Can you please tell me why its 'int *' in the function prototype, shudnt it be just 'void'? since its not returning anything? Or shudnt it just be 'int' excluding the '*', ?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

How do you know it doesn't return anything? All you know (or at least have shown us), are the prototypes. I assume it assigns a value to the int pointer 'kptr' and because its type is an int star assignment from a function must return an int star.

Also, I assume this is an assignment? Hmm. Main returns an integer so 'int main()' with a 'return 0;' at the end of its scope is what you should be having. Was the 'blanked' code given by the teacher...

Thats a question taken from a sample midterm test, so that is what i assuming all you need to know to answer the question. I still dont really understand why the star is beside int in the function prototype. :S. Anyways thanks fr the reply.

How do you know it doesn't return anything? All you know (or at least have shown us), are the prototypes. I assume it assigns a value to the int pointer 'kptr' and because its type is an int star assignment from a function must return an int star.

Also, I assume this is an assignment? Hmm. Main returns an integer so 'int main()' with a 'return 0;' at the end of its scope is what you should be having. Was the 'blanked' code given by the teacher...

> since its not returning anything?
Well it needs to return something, because there is an assignment here.
kptr = function2( n ) ;

And it needs to return int* (not int), because that's the type of kptr.

>since its not returning anything?
I don't understand. It's clearly returning something because the code that calls the function uses the return value:

kptr = function2( n ) ;

You can't use a function like that unless it returns something, and because kptr is declared as a pointer to int, it's a safe bet that function2 should return a pointer to int. The star means it's a pointer.

_ _ _ _ function2(_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ );
main{
int n[]= {4, 5, 6};
int *kptr ;
kptr = function2( n ) ;
}

Fill in the blanks and you get:

int *function2( int array[ ]); or
int *function2( int *ptr );
/* parameters names can be omitted */
main{
int n[]= {4, 5, 6};
int *kptr ;
kptr = function2( n ) ;
}

Can you please tell me why its 'int *' in the function prototype, shudnt it be just 'void'? since its not returning anything? Or shudnt it just be 'int' excluding the '*', ?

It isn't returning anything? Calling the function is accomplished by kptr = function2( n ) ; isn't it? And doesn't it load the value into kptr which is an int * ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.