Hi every bod y
I am new in programming and I like to start with pyqt but I can not find anything for learning in internet please help me how how can I write program with gt designer
& when I make a form in qt how can it work(my English is very bad …yes?)
What is the difference between qy & pyqt?

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

QT is a GUI (Graphics User Interface) toolkit and PyQT is the wrapper to make it work with the Python language. PyQT is not used much because of QT's inherent license problems. This might be the reason why there is little information on the internet.

If you are new to programming, I would stick with the Tkinter GUI toolkit that is part of the Python distribution. For more advanced GUI programming you can use wxPython. There are quite a number of Tkinter and wxPython examples in the snippet section on this forum.

in my opinion, PyQt is very good gui toolkit. also i'm bad at english too but i try to read english books. according to me first learn python than pyqt. i advice you
Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional by Magnus Lie Hetland (Author)
Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt by Mark Summerfield (Author)

I am not debating the merits of QT or PyQT, I am making you aware of the license requirements for QT. Should you ever develop a product using QT, you will need to pay the QT folks. This is the main reason that QT is not very popular with the open source Python crowd.

I have not tried QT or Tkinter but I have tried wxPython. I learned a lot from the book WxPython in Action by Noel Rappin and Robin Dunn. wxPython has been great to work with. I have also heard good things about Tkinter as well.

David

I know that this thread is quite old now but in my understanding The Open Source Editions of Qt is freely available for the development of Open Source software governed by the GNU General Public License (GPL)
Thus if you write a PyQt app and you release the code under the same license there shouldn't be license problems. Am I right?

I despised QT the first day I read their licence. If you need to be serious without Lic snags just go for wxpython. I dont despise TKinter nor undermine PyGTK. The reason is, I learned wxpython and became my best GUI toolkit. I have a poll there, it should help new comers which GUI toolkit many here prefer!

Can you explain me what's wrong with the open source licence if you plan to make a completely open source and non commercial application? I've no expertise in this field this is why I ask.
Thanks

No, but from what I know you need to disclose your code. What If you want to code commercial app for somebody? Will he allow you to disclose it?

That licence isn't good compared to wxpy or TkInter. Why not getting to them??

Ok I understand your point.
However if my plan is to develop free open source application then there's no drawback in using Qt.
I have used Tkinter as first choice to develop an internal app for my company (no release then) and after having gone pretty far I got stuck by frustration in trying and finding workaround for some app's basic functions (one example is sending a content to the printer). Apart this you must admit that the graphics appeal is not that cool with Tkinter. I tried (very very briefly) wxpy before but I disliked the code approach. From what I heard (and maybe I'm wrong) Qt are the best on the scenario. I'm trying to learn and for now (very basic and empty window) I find the coding and the result pretty neat.

who said wxpy is hard? Theonly draw back I find in wxpy contrasted to Tkinter is poor docs

Otherwise thing are easier lol:

As a matter of fact maybe it's just me being weird. Many say (everywhere) that Tkinter is difficult but I found the code nearly relaxing. On the contrary I found unpleasant the coding of wxpy.
Well I suppose I just need to give PyQt a try and then see what come out.
Thanks a lot for the good discussion dude.

No, but from what I know you need to disclose your code.

Where did that come from? If you include open source code in your app, and you transmit it to third parties outside (of your business, home, etc), you have to include source __to_the_open_source_parts_of_the_code__ . Redhat, which is a company that "sells" open source software, they actually sell installation, service etc., for years used their own closed-source installation app to install open-source software. They did not publish the source code and were not required to because it was their own closed-source app. The way I understand Qt's license is "if you make money using Qt, then you owe Trolltech something in return", but again that is just my understanding.

@woooee: that's also my understanding, as a matter of fact I think the deal it's quite honest: they provide a powerful tool for developing open source applications (thus helping open source world basically) but if one's intend to make money from the app then you must buy a commercial license. That seems to me a pretty healthy behaviour. If this is the case I don't see any big drawback in developing free open source applications with PyQt.
I got interested in this framework because it seems very powerful and neat to me. I run Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE4.1 which is developed in Qt and the result is really astonishing.

Ok Go for it! All blessings but for me, I'll stick with my beautiful wxpython! lol:

Let us go back to the topic:
QT GUYS, PSE HELP PROVIDING LINKS FOR GUY TO LEARN
Anyway have you tried docs at pyQT web?

Thanks for the links.

I am also deciding between wxPython or PyQt. I tend to be learning towards PyQt.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.