First I'd like to thank the forum for helping me out with my look and feel issue earlier. The given code worked wonders.

Now I'd like to be able to set up a scrollable GUI, but I have no idea where to start. I know JScrollPane and JScrollBar are involved, but searches on the two have come up with nothing as far as tutorials go. Does anyone have any links to a good tutorial?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hmm, Herb Schildt is not an author usually recommended when it comes to Java.
In fact it's usually recommended to stay as far away from his books as possible ;)

The Sun Java tutorial has a decent (though overly simplified) section on Swing. For more detailed coverage get the Swing book Apress publishes (or the older one from O'Reilly which misses some of the newer stuff).

All of that about Herb Schildt also applies to that roseindia site, in General.

couldn't tell, never visited them.
I have read several of Schildt's books though, and they're indeed riddled with errors and misconceptions.
If you can recognise those the rest is rather nice, but inexperienced people looking to them for learning can't recognise those errors.
In his big Java tome he for example quite blatantly says that Java uses pass by reference for objects, which is in direct contradiction to reality as described clearly in the language specification. As a C++ programmer himself Schildt doesn't realise the difference between pass by reference and passing a reference by value it seems...

Now I'd like to be able to set up a scrollable GUI, but I have no idea where to start. I know JScrollPane and JScrollBar are involved, but searches on the two have come up with nothing as far as tutorials go. Does anyone have any links to a good tutorial?

Well, just putting "JScrollPane" into Google pulled a ton of examples, but why not start with the tutorial that Sun has provided and linked right in the top of the API document? How to Use Scroll Panes (kinda has a "tutorialish" ring to it, doesn't it?)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.