If I want to add a plugin which I have designed after I have written the software ... how should I do it. Suppose I designed a word pad ... and then I designed a spell checker ... how should I add the spell checker to my word pad to get it working :?:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hey sani,

Have you used eclipse before? I wonder if you could leverage some of their plugin loading code. That would be awesome.

You could write your own plugin loading code rather easily. Have a plugin directory that your app will scan for plugins. Plugins can essentially be packaged java code. You can place plugins in a jar; they're easy to distribute.

Each plugin could have a very defined structure. For example if you wanted just a dumb simple single action for every plugin and have that single action listed in some plugin Menu in your wordpad app, then have every plugin define doAction(...) getActionName()... and so on. Then you can use reflection and the ClassLoader to load the classes dynamically at runtime.

You can ask me for more details if you don't find it easy to do... I do think that something like eclipse would be best if you can figure out how to get it working with your code.

Ed

If I want to add a plugin which I have designed after I have written the software ... how should I do it. Suppose I designed a word pad ... and then I designed a spell checker ... how should I add the spell checker to my word pad to get it working :?:

Thanks for the great ideas ... I have started implementing like that ... I'll tell you if I get some difficulties.

Hey sani,

Have you used eclipse before? I wonder if you could leverage some of their plugin loading code. That would be awesome.

You could write your own plugin loading code rather easily. Have a plugin directory that your app will scan for plugins. Plugins can essentially be packaged java code. You can place plugins in a jar; they're easy to distribute.

Each plugin could have a very defined structure. For example if you wanted just a dumb simple single action for every plugin and have that single action listed in some plugin Menu in your wordpad app, then have every plugin define doAction(...) getActionName()... and so on. Then you can use reflection and the ClassLoader to load the classes dynamically at runtime.

You can ask me for more details if you don't find it easy to do... I do think that something like eclipse would be best if you can figure out how to get it working with your code.

Ed

I am building a media player and i wish to add mp3 plugins to allow it to play more types of file but i don't know how to set my application up to except plugins.

Dennis

I am building a media player and i wish to add mp3 plugins to allow it to play more types of file but i don't know how to set my application up to except plugins.

Dennis

after 4 years, nobody is still reading this thread.
but if you want to play .mp3 files, either check out the JMF or JavaZoom

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.