does eny1 nos how 2 convert 16 bit to 8 bit if so plz tell me, i need a c program for it. thanx

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Be more specific.

8 bit is to small to hold 16 bit, thats why they created 16 bit.

I need to convert binary, which are audio samples I have to make a program which converts binary to decimal which I have already done but I have to write another program which converts 16 bit to 8 bit

Are these 16-bit numbers signed or unsigned ?

For signed use x = x / 256;
For unsigned use x = x >> 8; (though x = x / 256 would do as well).

if u no how 2 write it plz write a c program 4 me as i dnt seem 2 understand how 2 write it. I have to ask a user to input a 16bit binary number which den be converted to a 8 bit number

the following is my code and I am getting an error for this code I compiled it with cygwin and the error is "error while dumping state"

#include<stdio.h>
#include<string.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
#define MAX 44000

int main()
{  
	FILE *sample,*s2;

char x[16];
   long array[MAX] = {};
   int sum=0;
   int i=0;

sample = fopen("samples.txt", "r");
   if (sample == NULL)
   {
       printf("Error\n");
   }
s2=fopen("16to8bit.txt","w");

if(s2==NULL)
	{
		printf("\nError! Cannot open the ouput file!");
		exit(1);
	}

for (i=0;fgets(x, 16, sample)!=NULL;i++)
   {
       printf("%s", x);
       array[i]=atol(x);

}
   printf("\n");
   for(i=0;i<=MAX;i++)
   {
       printf("%d\n", array[i]);
   }
fclose(sample);
fclose(s2);

printf("\nSuccess\n\n");

return 0;
}

Can any 1 help me with this code thanks

First: please use code tags. It makes you code readable.

the following is my code and I am getting an error for this code I compiled it with cygwin and the error is "error while dumping state"

The program compiles fine for me, or do you mean a runtime error? Since I do not have the files, I would guess that:

if (sample == NULL)
{
printf("Error\n");
}

You should insert a return 1; here, so the program quits when the file is non-existant.

and: for(i=0;i<=MAX;i++) This line means it will loop from 0 to 44000 which is 44001 times. But your array is only 44000 elemants, so this will cause an memory exception. Change it to: for(i=0;i<MAX;i++) regards Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.