Hi, I am an intermediate c++ programmer, and I'm looking for a tutorial on Visual C++ express edition. If anyone could point me in the right direction with a link (I've searched google, and just get loads of stuff from microsoft, or things that are irreleveant.), it would be help me out a lot.

Thanks!!!

~Kodiak

:)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What exactly are you looking for a tutorial on? A tutorial on Visual C++ Express Edition is somewhat of a vague request. You'd be better off buying a book that covers Visual Studio if you want a detailed tutorial on how to use the application.

Well, I've pretty much figured it out, except I don't understand how you call the different controls from your C++ code, or how to compile your projects(Used to Dev C++ and GCC console programming) All I need to know is how to compile my projects into an executable, and how to make my program DO SOMETHING when someone interacts with a control. If you could demonstrate how to do this, or know a resource that demonstrates these, that would pretty much solve my problem...

Thanks,

Kodiak

>All I need to know is how to compile my projects into an executable
Ctrl+Shift+B, or select "Build Solution" from the Build menu. This places the executable in the project path under "Debug", or "Release" folder.

>and how to make my program DO SOMETHING when someone interacts with a control
That's going to depend on exactly what you're doing. The answer changes if you're using C++/CLI, Win32, MFC, or something else entirely.

I just want to be able to do stuff like this...

PseudoCode:

All.preprocessor.stuff.here

main.function
{

if(form1.button4=pressed)
{
          textbox1.value="You pressed button 4!";
}

}

That's pretty much it, and what do you mean by MFC,C++/CLI or win32? I am using windows, and it's a win32 project.....does that answer your question?

Thanks greatly for your help.

~Kodiak

>and what do you mean by MFC,C++/CLI or win32?
There are a bunch of ways to write a GUI program on Windows. Win32 is the most hardcore as it uses the Windows API directly. MFC is a C++ wrapper library around Win32, and C++/CLI is the C++ language with .NET support stapled on.

>it's a win32 project.....does that answer your question?
Yes, and in return I'll answer your question with a link: http://www.foosyerdoos.fsnet.co.uk/

You can forget MFC because the Express version doesn't support it. You need the Standard or better version for that which costs $$$. It will support standard win32 api if you download the Windows SDK and following the setup instructions carefully -- its a pain in the a** but works if done correctly. It also supports CLR -- how much I don't know.

Here is a tutorial for win32 api programs that will get you started. You are expected to have basic knowledge of C or C++, but no C++ OOP is used.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.