I have a problem on making user login, because I am not able to set up the roles and users in my Asp.net configurations. When I choose security I get this message "Unable to connect to SQL Server database. " and when I try to choose a provider and select test link I get "Could not establish a connection to the database.
If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create and configure the database, and then return to this tool to set the provider. "
I think the problem is that my sqlserver does not allow remote connections, and I don't know how to setup this option.
Any help?
Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

you need to run the aspnet_regsql exe. hope that helps, I will try to locate the directory URL for you hold on....

I've had this issue myself, most irritating lol. make sure your web.config has forms authentication instead of windows....standby for that directory trying to find it lol

Sorry man it didn't work. Thanks for your effort.

are you still getting the same error message ?

See these Articles in MSDN:
role-based security, walkthroughs

Walkthrough: Creating a Web Site with Membership and User Login (Visual Studio)

This should help.

Have you tried to connect on your Sql database using ODBC. this is just to test if youre capable to connect on your server using SQL username password.

In installing the SQL Server there are two types of login that you must considered, the Windows authentication and the Mixed Mode.

If you choose Windows Authentication only, you have no chance to connect on your SQL server using your UserName and password that you created on your SQL Server.

NOTE: Windows Authentication is set as default when you install SQL server.

so if you cannot connect on your server using your ODBC my advise is to uninstall your SQL server and reinstall it, set the security on the mixed mode.

you can get any further information on this site.
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/sql_server_security_best_practices.htm

Hopes it can help..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.