Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a student on my work placement year and I am developing a web based database. I have been asked to design it so users can if need be add a new table to the database or add a new column to an existing table. I have never done this before, how would I go about doing this?? I was thinking that I would have to use some kind of stored procedure and a form the users could fill in? but I have no idea where to start.

I am using Dreamweaver MX and Access, I will be using SQL Server but I am using Access at the minute to create a practice dummy site.

Thanks!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

GLT

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

anyone any ideas?? really need to know how to do this!

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks
GLT

you may need give interface for users to enter table name, field names, field types etc
then when they submit you need to construct SQL code like
Create Table tblTest
Add iIDNumber int null
etc like that

please refer Transact SQL for more info on create table syntax.

then you execute that in ASP code to create tables/fields

you may need give interface for users to enter table name, field names, field types etc
then when they submit you need to construct SQL code like
Create Table tblTest
Add iIDNumber int null
etc like that

please refer Transact SQL for more info on create table syntax.

then you execute that in ASP code to create tables/fields

Thank you for getting back to me!
I do know the SQL for creating a table but how would I go about coding ASP to create the table? I am a bit confused of how to link it all together.

Thanks GLT

below code connects sql server & execute create table SQL query. may be it will be useful to understand.

'create an instance of the ADO connection and recordset objects
Set Connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

'open the connection to the database
Connection.Open "Server=server_name;UID=user_name;PWD=password;Database=database_name"

sSQL = "create table .."
Connection.execute(sSQL)
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.