hi all
new to tomcat..
i installed tomcat on c:/tomcat 5.0.28 and c:\j2sdk1.4.1_07. i run my hello world servlet ,did all stuff making diretories,web.xml for running a servlet .it execute on my system.

i search for this in google,but i don't understand !!!!
but if my servlets are using or want to connect to ms-access database then i have no idea .how to configure or connect my servlets to database.?

from rohit sharma

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Have you tried connecting to a database via a Normal Java program before jumping to Servlets ???

Java Sun JDBC Basics tutorial, what more you need? Don't forget to get proper drivers for that crappy database of Microsoft (sorry I just do not like Access).

I do not really understand why people do not use free available MySQL Community Server

For MS Access I think you do not have a choice but to use the JDBC-ODBC Bridge.
<EDIT> At least thats what I thought before I came across this page </EDIT>
Also if you would like to connect to your database with out creating a DSN by using the following connection string:-

"jdbc:odbc:Driver={MicroSoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ={PATH_TO_MDB_FILE}"

Just replace {PATH_TO_MDB_FILE} with the absolute path to your MS Access file.

By the way why are you using such an old version of the JDK ???

I do not really understand why people do not use free available MySQL Community Server

I can round up all the possible reasons from that in word "IGNORANCE".

By the way why are you using such an old version of the JDK ???

I can round up all the possible reasons from that in word "IGNORANCE".

Software development is not all roses; there are instances wherein the project mandates you to use / build on the infrastructure they already have. DB2 is not that good, the same with SQL Server 2005. Access doesn't even feel like a real database, but then again, I have worked on migration projects or projects which already had critical data in their legacy databases, migrating which would have cost a *fortune*! So maybe a few more options rather than just *ignorance* would be more like it. :-)

Oh and BTW, when projects related to real money are involved, MySQL isn't even there; the market here is dominated by age old tried and tested database vendors like Oracle, Sybase and DB2. And please let me not hear about how real world high traffic sites like YouTube and message boards use MySQL. No one gives a damn if a few screw ups happen when you are creating a thread, making a post or uploading a video. But when real world money transactions are involved...

Access doesn't even feel like a real database, but then again

I'm not sure she is not on microsoft pay book ;)

Oh and BTW, when projects related to real money are involved, MySQL isn't even there; the market here is dominated by age old tried and tested database vendors like Oracle, Sybase and DB2. And please let me not hear about how real world high traffic sites like YouTube and message boards use MySQL. No one gives a damn if a few screw ups happen when you are creating a thread, making a post or uploading a video. But when real world money transactions are involved...

I'm sure that large projects involve other databases then MySQL. However you have to admit that it is largely used by smaller and medium size companies. Secondly it one of the "have" skill/knowledge when you looking for job as far I seen on job offers in UK. And lastly I still consider to be better starting option then Access as rohitrohitrohit is beginner

Well I agree with ~sos~ as far as maintaining compatibility with legacy systems is concerned, but if we look at the current context, the thread starter I do not think is dealing with such critical systems and sounds more like a beginner to Java, so its got to be Ignorance :P.

<EDIT> @Peter Budo's post ... didn't see it, damn I should learn to refresh my pages more often :P
And yes I agree Small and Mid-Size firms prefer going for MySQL, an example is the firm which employs me has got 70% its critical data in MySQL DBs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.