Hi All,
I am trying to the following for an appointments system. So far i am able to add to my Sql table 'bookings' values i select from a drop down stored as $day, $month, $year and $time.
I want to be able to do a check nefore a write the row to the database to see if a record with the same day mont year time already exists - but not too sure how. Can anyone tell me where in my php code i can put this check!

<?php 
if ($_POST["addClient"]=="yes") {

// retrieve values from system $_POST variable
    $day=$_POST["day"];
    $month=$_POST["month"];
    $year=$_POST["year"];
    $time=$_POST["time"];

include("dbVariables.php");

// connect to database
    $db = mysql_connect($dbHost, $dbUsername, $dbPassword);
    mysql_select_db($databasename,$db);

// compose query and send
    $dbQuery="INSERT INTO bookings VALUES ('$day', '$month', '$year', '$time')";
    $result = mysql_query($dbQuery,$db);

} else {}
?>

Thanks in Advance :)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for Rhyan

OK, as far as I understand you first want to check if such an appointment already exists, then, if the date-hour is free, you want to write the appointment. Is that correct? If it is this way, you first need to look for existing appointment, then try to write a new one.

You have to change the code from this part on.

// compose query and send
$dbQuery="INSERT INTO bookings VALUES ('$day', '$month', '$year', '$time')";
$result = mysql_query($dbQuery,$db);

} else {}

// SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS
//compose search string
$checkAppointment = "SELECT count(*) FROM bookings WHERE day='$day' and month='$month' and year='$year' and time='time')";
$check = mysql_query($checkAppointment, $db);
$result = mysql_fetch_row($check);
$result = $result['0'];

if($result >0)
  {
   print ('You already have an appointment on selected day and hour!');
  }
else
  {
    $insertAppointment="INSERT INTO bookings VALUES ('$day', '$month', '$year', '$time')";
    $write = mysql_query($insertAppointment,$db);
    if(!$write) //checking here if record is inserted
     {
        echo mysql_error();
     }
    else
  {
  print('New appointment created!');
  }
}

However, if you are going to create an appointment system, better think about overlapping events. E.g. a meeting starts at 10 o'clock and is scheduled to run 2 hours.
Your current code will perfectly allow a new appointment to be created when the hour is set to be 10:01...

Ok Thats great thankyou so much. I will give it ago and let you know how i get on!

Cheers :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.