I am an absolute beginner when it comes to create WebSites and are perheps out to catch some basic knowledge of the steps of creating a page etc...
I am not a beginner in C# and C++ and know these languages Well.

I have downloaded Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition where I can use my C# skills.

* For example I have purchased a DomainAdress already:
http://www.abc.com //Example

* I have created a test-WebSite in Web Developer like this:
// Only a button and 2 textBoxes for a test

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        TextBox2.Text = TextBox1.Text;
    }

Now is my question. I can run this WebSite through F5 on my computer but I dont know how I will connect this WebSite with my purchased adress so others can access it ?
This is my question. What do I need to do this ?

Thanks a lot

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I've never used WebDeveloper but to put your pages up to view on a website you can FTP your site, and there are also applications to download that are more secure for file transfer.

But open up windows explorer, and type in

ftp://abc.com

Then there's your web space. Copy your web page over and then to view it online the directory will be like www.abc.com/AmazingWebpage

Thanks for answer :)
I think I have to ask what ftp:// really meens or is.

1. Do I connect to a Server online by typing ftp://abc.com that are connected
to my Domain www.abc.com ?

2. When I write ftp://abc.com in Internet Explorer, I get a MessageBox that says:

"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder

Details:
The operation timed out"

Should anything come up by typing in ftp://abc.com ?

I've never used WebDeveloper but to put your pages up to view on a website you can FTP your site, and there are also applications to download that are more secure for file transfer.

But open up windows explorer, and type in

ftp://abc.com

Then there's your web space. Copy your web page over and then to view it online the directory will be like www.abc.com/AmazingWebpage

just search for an ftp software, the are many of them and the are free
then you access the server through the user-name and password which you already has it.

I see, I am new to this, so I beleive this will be my first step to do.

As I understand, the UserName and Password is something I get from in my case: GoDaddy where I purchased my DomainName and the files that I will upload is the Folder/"Project" where all the files is saved in when writing my webpage.

I have downloaded a FTP software (Fling) and think I have understand the process to choose the folder where my Project files are.
The only thing is my UserName and Password wich I have done a request for to them.
I hope I am on the right track ?

just search for an ftp software, the are many of them and the are free
then you access the server through the user-name and password which you already has it.

Have you purchased Hosting or just the domain name?

If so you need to check if your host supports ASP.net else your projects will not work.

If they do they will provide a backend to setup a web application.

You are right, I have only purchased the domainname.
So hosting is also something I need to purchase then. I didn´t know that. Good to know that now.

When looking at their page where they show what they support for the hosting http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?ci=9009

They have something called: Microsoft. net
I wonder if this is 'the same' as ASP.net or if it will work with this or if any of the other supported will work with ASP.net ?

That would be more than nice to know before I really start out building the webpage.

Have you purchased Hosting or just the domain name?

If so you need to check if your host supports ASP.net else your projects will not work.

If they do they will provide a backend to setup a web application.

Sorry, I just saw now when clicking around on godaddys site that ASP.net was supported.

However I have purchased a Domainadress and now I also need to purchase a Hosting wich is another thing in order to upload my files to my Domainadress.

I think I am getting this now ?
It is a new process so I just need to get all steps in order to understand how this works.

yer you have it right now.

purchasing the domain simply allows you to trap requests to that address and then forward them to anywhere you like.

once you have the domain and hosting which supports ASP.net you are already to go. Just make sure you check some of their features such as maximum upload/download a month, the amount of space you get etc as you can get some very competitive rates. Generally the more you pay the better the service. Also check they are running the version of the .NET framework you require e.g. 2.0 or 3.5?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.