After numerous issues with my first hosting I got new deal. Now I want to get my blog move to its new home, but I hit the wall with simple WAR deployment
Here is catalina.log

INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Starting service Catalina
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine - Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.26
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost - XML validation disabled
ERROR main org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[peterscorner.co.uk].[/] - Error configuring application listener of class com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1363)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1209)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3712)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4216)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:736)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:448)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:552)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
	at org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java:177)
ERROR main org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[peterscorner.co.uk].[/] - Skipped installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
ERROR main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext - Error listenerStart
ERROR main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext - Context [] startup failed due to previous errors
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Deploying web application archive pebble.war
ERROR main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext - Error listenerStart
ERROR main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext - Context [/pebble] startup failed due to previous errors
INFO main org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader - Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Server startup in 3698 ms

I tried to google first error Error configuring application listener of class com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener but so far none of the suggestion worked. All had only one thing in common, JSF.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Tomcat by default doesn't have support for JSF (amd definitely Tomcat 5.5 doesn't),
Are you sure the new place has the JSF libraries because the following suggests the JSF libraries are mssing.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener

Also have never seen as yet anyone use JSF with a Tomcat version prior to 6.0.

commented: Good tip +14

On request I got new instance of Tomcat now. It is 6.0.16 will see how I do now...

INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine - Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.26

One more thing I forgot to mention last time out. If this is a Linux Server I have a **feeling** that your ISP was using the Tomcat which was acquired in that O.S's software repository, These versions are by default configured to use "gcj"(which is I **suppose** compliant with only JDK 1.4.2 specs) and not the Sun JDK/JRE, So you also might want to ensure that they have an appropriate version of the JRE installed.

Thanx stephen,
after request new host company updated Tomcat for me and "we are now up and running...".
My old host still thinks I'm with them and I got told of for "again relocating my blog entries in wrong place". Like ohhm, ehmm last year I set everything correctly as you demanded, but now I cannot find my blogs. Where are their? Are their in the top directory just under root? And why they there since I did not request server restart and there where no changes to settings?

Although the thread has been solved I just stumbled across the actual reason why the JSFs does not work with Tomcat 5.5, the JSF 1.2 implementation requires the Java Servlet 2.5 implementation whereas Tomcat 5.5 supports the Java Servlet 2.4 implementation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.