Hello, I believe I am asking the correct thing in the right forum.

How can I set up a system on my website that has some sort of login page were you have a username and password and then it takes to the pages of the website that you can edit with a rich text editor, so someone who knows nothing of html can update it. I know it is possible but I know nothing about PHP and would like someone to just point me in the right direction, not to learn PHP but were to start to make the system. Also I am pretty sure that PHP is the only way to do this am I correct, thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You need a content management system and yes many/most of these are written in PHP. I use one called Website Baker because I find it is the easiest to understand and use, for me, and for those who maintain the websites that I build for them. If you want to check out what's out there, you can also look at Joomla, Drupal, Mambo and Workpress and a whole bunch of others that are less well known.
Chris

If you have something specific in mind, I suggest creating your own.

Don't over-complicate things with a bulky CMS if you are reaching for a simple solution.

I can code a simple login system and a page editor (with the use of a wysiwyg editor) in a matter of hours.

If you have something specific in mind, I suggest creating your own.

Don't over-complicate things with a bulky CMS if you are reaching for a simple solution.

I can code a simple login system and a page editor (with the use of a wysiwyg editor) in a matter of hours.

there are many templates for you to download. Even those WYSIWYG Editors are also using those kind of templates.

By changing only xml or the css you can make it's look and feel as you wish.

If all you want is a blog or simple information page, Wordpress is the way. If you want something more complicated and customisable try Joomla
Regards,
SR

Which of these services do guys recommend if it is free? Also do think i should learn PHP and build my own instead. This service is not urgent and i need to learn PHP anyways to use these services and other stuff. So what do you guys think?

Joomla!!!!!!

I agree, Joomla is my favorite it just takes a bit to get your head round it to start of with but its really easy to configure and use once you know how.

your 16? im 17

This question depends on what you are wanting. Do you have an interest in php? If you do, a cms would be a great project to learn on. Otherwise take the time to fully understand a pre-built system such a joomla. It will save you a lot of headaches. I personally prefer knowing every line of code the program I am using has (why I make my own). Fixing errors is so much easier.

Maybe you could explain more in depth about what you are trying to accomplish. Then we could give better advice.

your 16? im 17

Awsome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.