hello, I'm currently a PHP developer and I'm looking to learn new languages, what i found a good chose is ruby on rails. from what i came to know that ruby is much easier and fast way to develop web apps and uses techniques like MVC and DRY. however is ruby on rails as powerful as PHP?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I've worked as a PHP developer, and have since started a new job where most development is done on RoR.

From what I have experienced, RoR is so much faster than PHP. However, I'm not sure it is a fair comparison, because RoR is a framework using the Ruby language, whereas PHP is a programming language only.

what about ruby on rails vs php frameworks e.g (phpcake and zend)

the other thing i want to is can RoR make powerful website like for example facebook or good forum software such as vBulletin?

RoR can put together a blog, with front end display pages, back end CMS, secure login, images, etc, etc in under 30 mins from scratch.

But with any framework; its only as quick as the developer, and familiarity is everything. Ruby is a very nice programming language to work with... well I think it is. It just takes a little getting used to going from PHP to Ruby.

The good thing about Rails is that you don't have a to choose a framework. If you are developing websites with Ruby, you most likely are using Rails.

With PHP there are too many frameworks, too many clones of RoR. The development curves are two high between frameworks. The PHP versions, requirements are too far apart between frameworks etc.

The Zend framework is doing for PHP what Rails did for web based development in Ruby to some extent. But it isn't accepted as the "only" php web development framework like RoR is for Ruby.

However, this also means that you only have one choice of Framework in Ruby. So if there is something you don't like about it, you are out of luck.

RoR can put together a blog, with front end display pages, back end CMS, secure login, images, etc, etc in under 30 mins from scratch.

You can do the same with a PHP framework if you know it well.

You can do the same with a PHP framework if you know it well.

Hence my second paragraph :)

But with any framework; its only as quick as the developer, and familiarity is everything. Ruby is a very nice programming language to work with... well I think it is. It just takes a little getting used to going from PHP to Ruby.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.