I initially developed my app with vs2003, using sqlDataAdapters and datasets. Now I need to add additional fields, etc.

I'd like to use the Data Adapter Configuration Wizard, and have found instructions for 2005 to select the component in design mode, and pull up the wizard using the context menu.

Unfortunately, the control was dropped from the design window automatically during the conversion (from 2003 to 2008), though the code remains in the generated code behind.

So is there any way to use a wizard? I'd prefer not to manually modify the mappings,select statements, etc. in the code behind.

I know I can change to a tableAdapter, but that has other impacts in my code.

Randy

I initially developed my app with vs2003, using sqlDataAdapters and datasets. Now I need to add additional fields, etc.

I'd like to use the Data Adapter Configuration Wizard, and have found instructions for 2005 to select the component in design mode, and pull up the wizard using the context menu.

Unfortunately, the control was dropped from the design window automatically during the conversion (from 2003 to 2008), though the code remains in the generated code behind.

So is there any way to use a wizard? I'd prefer not to manually modify the mappings,select statements, etc. in the code behind.

I know I can change to a tableAdapter, but that has other impacts in my code.

Randy

I added the sqlDataAdapter to the toolbox by right clicking in the toolbox, selecting choose items, under the .NET Framework Components was SqlDataAdapter. At that point you can just use the adapter as you did in 2003.

Hope that works for you.

Jackie

Jackie,
Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested, checked the sql data adapter. Said OK. But the control doesn't appear anywhere in the toolbox, as far as I can tell. If I close vs, and reopen it, the control is still checked. What am I doing wrong.

Randy,
I think it is hidden in the toolbox. Try right clicking the toolbox, select "Show All" and see if you find a second Data section.
Jackie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.