Hey all,

I found this script that i'm using to read a directory, show all the pdf files in it, then be able to click on one of the pdf files displayed and open the pdf. So far i can show the pdfs in the directory, but when I click on one, i get an error page. Can someone take a look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm assuming that my browser is not seeing it as a .pdf file and doesn't know how to open it.

<?php 
  $current_dir = "$DOCUMENT_ROOT"."..//pdfs/";    //Put in second part, the directory - without a leading slash but with a trailing slash! 
  $dir = opendir($current_dir);        // Open the sucker 

echo ("<p><h1>List of available files:</h1></p><hr><br />"); 
  while ($file = readdir($dir))            // while loop 
    { 
    $parts = explode(".", $file);                    // pull apart the name and dissect by period 
    if (is_array($parts) && count($parts) > 1) {    // does the dissected array have more than one part 
        $extension = end($parts);        // set to we can see last file extension 
        if ($extension == "pdf" OR $extension == "PDF")    // is extension ext or EXT ? 
             echo "<a href=\"$file\" target=\"_blank\"> $file </a><br />";    // If so, echo it out else do nothing cos it's not what we want 
        } 
    } 
  echo "<hr><br />"; 
  closedir($dir);        // Close the directory after we are done 
?>

Right now this is looking into a directory on my wwwroot folder because I can not get it to see any directories outside of my wwwroot folder. I'd like it to see files in a directory on a shared fileserver on my network if anyone can help with that, haven't been able to get it to work and my knowledge is not what it should be yet.

Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

I don't think that you can link to a file above the html root (I may be wrong). A 'forbidden?' error or something similar should appear.

From what I can see, I think your link is referring to just the filename (so it will search the current page file folder for the pdf) - you need to add an absolute path to this,
e.g.

$myfile = "/pdfs/" . $file;
echo "<a href=\"{$myfile}\" ...>{$file}</a>";

The above assumes your pdf files reside in the 'pdfs' folder directly under html root.

ok, here is what I found out. The above php file i'm using is in a folder under wwwroot/scanner/readdir2.php. I'm trying to get this file to read the contents of a folder that is at wwwroot/pdfs/. I made the changes you suggested....

<?php 
  $current_dir = "$DOCUMENT_ROOT"."..//pdfs/";    //Put in second part, the directory - without a leading slash but with a trailing slash! 
  $dir = opendir($current_dir);        // Open the sucker 

echo ("<p><h1>List of available files:</h1></p><hr><br />"); 
  while ($file = readdir($dir))            // while loop 
    { 
    $parts = explode(".", $file);                    // pull apart the name and dissect by period 
    if (is_array($parts) && count($parts) > 1) {    // does the dissected array have more than one part 
        $extension = end($parts);        // set to we can see last file extension 
        if ($extension == "pdf" OR $extension == "PDF")    // is extension ext or EXT ? 
        	 $myfile = "/pdfs/" . $file;
             echo "<a href=\"$file\" target=\"_blank\"> $file </a><br />";    // If so, echo it out else do nothing cos it's not what we want 
        } 
    } 
  echo "<hr><br />"; 
  closedir($dir);        // Close the directory after we are done 
?>

And it is pulling the contents of the pdfs folder, but will not open it unless the pdf file i'm showing is in the wwwroot/scanner folder. So its reading the directory wwwroot/pdfs, but trying to open the file in the wwwroot/scanner directory, where my php files are. Any idea as to why its doing this? Is $DOCUMENT_ROOT pointing to the files my php files are in or to the wwwroot folder? How could I see this?

Thanks for your help.

Member Avatar for diafol

You didn't change the a link to $myfile: <a href=\"$file\" target=\"_blank\"> $file </a><br /> to <a href=\"$myfile\" target=\"_blank\"> $file </a><br />

You didn't change the a link to $myfile: <a href=\"$file\" target=\"_blank\"> $file </a><br /> to <a href=\"$myfile\" target=\"_blank\"> $file </a><br />

Ahh, good catch, you are right, works much better now. Thank you for the help. No to work on the rest. Much appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.