Hi All,
My requirement is to develop an editor which should support XML,PHP,Python,DAT and normal file formats.

I am trying to get information like: is there any free editor developed in PHP or some other langauage is available which can be customized or any idea to go ahead

Regards,
-Manoranjan

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Googled it.

This is not my answer to query. I have googled but couldnot got any answer.Do you have any suggestion.

-MP

There are a number of programmers editors out there that support a variety of languages. I have used Context and it has "highlighters" for many programming languages.

You don't say what your objective is. If it is a learning exercise where you are prepared to reinvent / modify the wheel, then you are looking for open source tools. Context is open source. If you search for "editor programmer open source" you will get a bunch of additional choices.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.My query was not on open source Editor/IDE which support php as file system.

My Query was any open source IDE/Editor which is developed useing PHP as the programming language.

Please suggest.

Member Avatar for diafol

Most editors I've used are written in something like C and are designed to run on an OS rather than online, e.g - Notepad++ and have compiled files, so you can't get hold of the code. You wouldn't write an editor in pure pHp anyway (I don't think) - it would be littered with XML/js/ajax and possibly other languages. Loads of CMS editors exists that have been written in php/js, but these typically don't offer the same functionality as code editors. I assume you'll be wanting code keyword highlighting, autocomplete, search functionality etc. One major problem with this is the data you'll need to include to enable highlighting/autocomplete - e.g. language files (lists of functions with named parameters). Will you require error checking?

HI,
Really a useful reply...
I need an editor might be not developed only in PHP, a mixture of PHP,JS,XML.html will be good.It should support XML,Python,.dat and text file format.It should have feature like autocomplete,syntax checking, error checking etc.

Please suggest....

I have read through all the previous posts. If you remember one of the posts said 'objective'.

Can you kindly elaborate on what is the objective of such an editor and where and how it is going to be used and what is its application.

Elaborate as much as you can. You are leaving SO MUCH infomation out, it is just becoming a guessing game!

OBJECTIVE AND IT USE PLEASE!

check out
notepad++
gedit
vi
vim
all are open source so you can get hold of the code, I guess they are written in c/c++.

The only syntax highlighter I know of is Geshi which can be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114997
Geshi I have used myself and can highlight text for a number of languages using php. However the html code it outputs can be a bit messy like most computer generated code. So try it out and see what you think of it.

Objective:
We have one framework which is developed using XML,DAT,Python,PHP format files.So we want an editor for that.

Why We need editor which in PHP:
We have also a test management system which is developed using PHP.We want to integrate our test framework to our test management system.So we need some editor which is developed in PHP will be easy for us to integrate with our test management system

I hope I have clarified your question.

Hi,
I downloaded the "Geshi" and put it on my web server.
When I tried to access gessi using "http://localhost/geshi.php" link it shows a blanl page.

Kindly suggest how to use the gessi if some special adjustment is needed.

It helps to read the documenation. Below is an example from the documenation

//
// Include the GeSHi library
//
include_once 'geshi.php';

//
// Define some source to highlight, a language to use
// and the path to the language files
//

$source = '$foo = 45;
for ( $i = 1; $i < $foo; $i++ )
{
  echo "$foo\n";
  --$foo;
}';
$language = 'php';

//
// Create a GeSHi object
//

$geshi = new GeSHi($source, $language);

//
// And echo the result!
//
echo $geshi->parse_code();

I would also strongly advise to read the related info at the following link: http://qbnz.com/highlighter/geshi-doc.html#basic-usage

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I did the following steps and still shows the blank page:

Steps 1: I had created a file named 'accessgeshi.php' in the same directory where geshi.php is present then had put follwing code in it :

<?php
//
// Include the GeSHi library
//
include_once 'geshi.php';

//
// Define some source to highlight, a language to use
// and the path to the language files
//

$source = '$foo = 45;
{
  echo "$foo\n";
  --$foo;
}';

$language = 'php';

//
// Create a GeSHi object
//

//
// And echo the result!
//
echo $geshi->parse_code();
?>

Steps2: Tried to access the web page http://localhost/accessgeshi.php.But the web page shows only the "for loop" part of the above code.

Step3:Also tried to access the "http://localhost/geshi.php" still it shows blank page.

I had also gone through the documentation.
If some where I am doing a mistake please suggest.

On your step2 - I think you saw the answer. The following code is meant to display on your page like you said it did but highlighted.

$foo = 45;
{
echo "$foo\n";
--$foo;
}

oh...
Is it something to use this editor I need to write PHP code and access the php file.
Is it not some thing like other editor where I can directly open the editor,then type the program in some format like xml,tcl etc and save it or can open a file of certain format.

Basically the way it works is that in the code I sent you during post #13, you would have seen the following line:

That is where you specify the source code in $source and the language file to use. So for example, just before that line could be the following:

$source='<?php echo "Hello world"; ?>';
$language='php';

Hope that is clearer.

Hai,
Thanks for your reply..Nicely answered...

Please correct if I am wrong in following points about "Geshi".
1)It does not work like normal editor where we can directly edit the file from GUI.
2)It doesnot check syntax and auto-complete feature...
3)I can't open a file of some format and edit it and save the same...

If above points are correct please suggest another editor developed in PHP which supports above points...

Hai,
Thanks for your reply..Nicely answered...

Please correct if I am wrong in following points about "Geshi".
1)It does not work like normal editor where we can directly edit the file from GUI.
2)It doesnot check syntax and auto-complete feature...
3)I can't open a file of some format and edit it and save the same...

If above points are correct please suggest another editor developed in PHP which supports above points...

Just to let you know, that is entirely correct!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.