I need a comments box where users can use a name textbox to input their name and a comments textbox where they can input what they thought about the site or something they need and then a fixed area of text being displayed on the site. An example (Request Layouts):
http://www.freeweblayouts.net/

I've done this in a way before with a guestbook I made that connected to a database and showed the user input using the textboxes as parameters for each column in the database. Would it be good to use the formview instead of the GridView that I used in the Guestbook? Is it better just to use a txt file instead of database?

Thank you for your time
Chris

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

FormView control especially used to add/delete/update a table record. GridView has options to view list of rows and edit/delete individually.

Use database if you want to store data for a long time and also you may retrieve it using simple sql statement.

FormView control especially used to add/delete/update a table record. GridView has options to view list of rows and edit/delete individually.

Use database if you want to store data for a long time and also you may retrieve it using simple sql statement.

Oh yea I remember doing a program with FormView. Ok so I should use the DataView. I'm gonna mess around with it till I think I have a problem then maybe I'll post back.

Thanks for now
Chris

Ok I think I got the hang of what is going on I inserted a DataView control and the only issue I have now is I need a SQL statement or some way to limit the data in the small box I need it to display newer data to a certain point then older data would remain hidden.

I didn't get your question at post #4. Are you want to show the last record added to the database everytime? Use order by with desc clause on field like ID (automumbered).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.