need to update each records after record

hi,

Would anyone share with me a code that can be used for this logic.

If i delete from a x records, record u.I need to update each records after record u till record x.the updation need to be carried out for the auto_increment field.

I think of a logic like this.
If need to delete the record,it should take the records after it,issue update query or update and then delete the record mentioned ,insert the updated records to database.

please some one help me by sharing this logic's code...or with a better code.
thanking you in advance i remain

sincerely
hbmarar

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'd help, but I have no clue what you just said.

well,

i have wriiten a code for addressbook isn which i found a bug very late...I mean i have the following functions for the address book:-
Add,Update,Delete,Search,Showall. now once i have deleted a record the id which is autoincremented remains the same.so the deleted records id is never used again.

like this :
4|Harish|Balakrishnan|hbm@hbm.com|Phone|Pin
5|Balakr|HariKrishnan|bala@bala.com|Phone|pin
6|Harira|Balarishnan|bm@hbm.com|Phone|Pin

now if I delete record with id=5,resulting database view is like this

4|Harish|Balakrishnan|hbm@hbm.com|Phone|Pin
6|Harira|Balarishnan|bm@hbm.com|Phone|Pin
I need to use the id=5 which with the current logic is not utilised.

I think this would give you the need I mentioned in the thread.please help me with a code/function which before deletion updates all the records after the record deleted decrementing all the records after the deleted record id by 1;

Thanking you for the assurance that you could help me and I myself really expecting your favour

I remain
Hari

I'd redesign the logic if I were you. I never rely on auto updated keys for anything other than bookmarking a record.
i.e. I read it, store the auto update key cos I know it's unique, do whatever to the record, then update it using the auto update in the where clause. Better have a good design than patch up a poor one as it will only haunt you later.

I'd redesign the logic if I were you. I never rely on auto updated keys for anything other than bookmarking a record.
i.e. I read it, store the auto update key cos I know it's unique, do whatever to the record, then update it using the auto update in the where clause. Better have a good design than patch up a poor one as it will only haunt you later.

hi,

Yes. You said is correct and my brother too say 'this way' that once he is to development there would not be a major re-designing required.'

But I am not him and thus would like to see this code working....

If you have alternative code do please share with me....

Thanking you I remain

Hari

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.