I am a newbie web designer and I have downloaded MySQL, php4 and uploaded phpBB2 to my server to setup my forum. and I have looked at countless tutorials and it's really getting stressful. Is there any way that you could guide me through the process using AIM or yahooIM?

Thanks a lot

starseed

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Can somebody at least point me in the right direction to a good tutorial?

Thanks

Can somebody at least point me in the right direction to a good tutorial?

Thanks

what you need to know.do u want to install phpbb on windows xp.have you installed mysql,php and apache.

You wouldn't happen to be running on GoDaddy's Windows servers are you? Their stripped down version of php on Windows doesn't work well (or at all) on all of my tries with phpBB but their linux servers were fine...

I have used Burning Board which is excellent

JohnT

If you mean Windows server, and already have IIS running i could help, because I have done it, but I need to know what versions you have.

doh, two posts, pls delete :(

If you mean Windows server, and already have IIS running i could help, because I have done it, but I need to know what versions you have.

I am having problems with GoDaddy Windows Mode, and phpBB. Grrrr. I'm going to try and use older versions, see if that will help.

Hi MartyMcFly,

Could you possibly help me out too? I'm not a real strong techie and I'm trying to install phpbb but I can't figure out which folder on my server it should go in. I have tried to install it from a couple of different places but it doesn't work. I have MySQL4.x on my server.

Thanks!

Evergreen

P.S. I am at iorhael@verizon.net on MSN messenger if you'd like to contact me that way.

I am having problems with GoDaddy Windows Mode, and phpBB. Grrrr. I'm going to try and use older versions, see if that will help.

i assume you mean a Windows Server of your own. Put phpBB on any folder, and make it a share folder. The original folder can be anywhere. The forum address will be \\servername\sharename

But you do need a Server operating system, with IIS configured, (ie running).

Then you need php, installer and zip from here

http://www.php.net/downloads.php

Then you need MySql admin software, like appache.

Check this link out for how to install it, it's not all correct, but just install everything, get your database sorted, and it should work.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=138

Good luck, MMF

Hello,

Funny you mention GoDaddy, i just got off the phone with them cause I was having problems installing phpBB2 and the tech support told me that I'm running on Windows, that I would have to switch over to a Linux server in order to make this work. He said I would be required to run Linux PC at home and do all my code from there. I just use Frontpage and that came with my Windows program.

I don't want to bother going back to a Linux just to install this type-forum. What can I do, can I still run phpbb2 with GoDaddy using Windows or do I need to switch over to Linux?

Is there a software that will run under Windows that performs the same function? I think that would be better but I bet they'll charge..

Please help,

nesbie@gmail.com If you have the answers to my problems, it's killing me!!

Thanks,

Nesbie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.