Hi all,
Back then I was writting my own login/register system and I have halted developing it due to time constraints. I will be happy to resume later. Here I am asking for Open source secure and safe login/register system that I can Incorporate in my CMS. I want to concentrate on Templating/Paging/Contents & Pages management instead of Securing my login/register system

Should I copy from some CMS? If so what do you suggest: Drupal? Joomla? PHPBB? or what?

Thanks alot!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I'd first decide how I want it designed.

For example, Joomla uses Observer pattern for authentication while Pear Auth uses inheritance. In Pear only one authentication source can be used at a time, since PHP does not support multiple inheritance. In Joomla multiple authentication source can be used since they are all observers of the login event.

I'd copy what I think suits your CMS best, what you think those extending the CMS would be more comfortable with etc.

I see Joomla na drupal works well, which one is simpler for mimicking

So help me guys,
Which login system is easier to copy so-to-speak, between Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress? Since these have been for so long now, I think thery are stable and secure.

I wonder why there is no Open Source version that is up to date because many people ask for it. When I become expert I will think of writting one ;)

indeed this is very actual question as for free open source reg form.
it would speed up the job performance in some parts of the projects

So help me guys,
Which login system is easier to copy so-to-speak, between Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress? Since these have been for so long now, I think thery are stable and secure.

I wonder why there is no Open Source version that is up to date because many people ask for it. When I become expert I will think of writting one ;)

They are all stable and secure for most cases. There are security issues in all of the three, but that is off topic.

I think you should dig into each login systems code, and choose the one that you like best, or seems easy for you to implement. In other words, you'd be the best judge on which you want, and which is easiest for you to implement.

For example, If I were to choose, I'd say go with Joomla. But that is just my personal preference as we work with Joomla on 90% of our projects.

Cool, I'll dig. I hope their login system won't be convoluted ;)

no. dont copy. thats illegal

@evstevemd, you'll find they are quite convoluted. You may want to skim through them for the concepts and copy that.

Copying open source software is not illegal. You have to keep it within the software license if you copy code for code (like giving attribution), but copying functionality or the idea is not illegal unless there is a license specifically preventing reverse engineering, or patents on those concepts. I'm not a lawyer, but that is generally true when developing software.

Duh!
As you see DE, is there a posibility for me to produce a login registr system? Why don't we make A daniweb code and go on scrutinizing infinitely? Just start it as a basic system and each one hacking and hacking until it is stable?

Duh!
As you see DE, is there a posibility for me to produce a login registr system? Why don't we make A daniweb code and go on scrutinizing infinitely? Just start it as a basic system and each one hacking and hacking until it is stable?

If you start one I'll help.

Thanks a lot.
I will indeed. Let me start asking for the way to go.
Here is what I see I need to code so far. If I miss something, don't hesitate to point out. Also if there is something that is unnecessary just point out thanks
-------------------------------
1. Register user (Full Name, Email, Username, Password) + Captcha
2. Verify through link sent into email address (Validate)
3. Secure all known attacks in registration process
4. Login user into a system (Username)
5. Secure all known attacks in login process
6. Facility for lost password
7. Secure all known attacks in recovery process

also which is the best way, to have functions in one file or make bunch of classes each for a functionality expressed above?

Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.