I have some questions pertaining to php and I need help!
1)I want to display random art in my signature but I want it behind a frame and with the artists's name written on a "nameplate"
2)I want to have a guest book in my signature that you can post to and it shows up in the image
3)I want to have a "rating" thingy in my sigy so that poeple can rate my avatar

note:this signature will be used mostly on gaiaonline

~Henry
:o

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The question is, are you the webmaster of gaiaonline?
If yes, what you wanna do is easier, if not, youll have to somehow make the script and put it into another server, then call it remotely from your signature.

Creating images on the fly is accomplished through the GD library usually, google for some tutorials on how to use it on php.

I'm not the webmaster but I do have my own server thats supports php and has a mysql database

1)I want to display random art in my signature but I want it behind a frame and with the artists's name written on a "nameplate"

Then you need to create an script in your own server, and with the use of GD, you can generate an image on the fly, probably the default thing here would be the nameplate, and the "artists name" would be gotten randomly from your database.

2)I want to have a guest book in my signature that you can post to and it shows up in the image

You cant link HTML code from a remote address in your signature, sou you'd have to make a link to your website's guestbook (maybe opening in a popup), and then once people sign it, you can retrieve the values in the same csript of point 1, on-the-fly

3)I want to have a "rating" thingy in my sigy so that poeple can rate my avatar

Again, just like point 2, create a link to a rating system in your website, and then opne it in another page and popup, and once people rate it, you can easily generate the rating on-th-fly again, in the script 1

If you still dont get it, you need a php script that generates images on the fly, this can be easily achieved with GD. This script is put in your own webserver (as well as the guestbook and rating systems), and then linked from your signature at gaiaonline.
In this script, you can do pretty much everything you want with the data in your DB (guestbook, ratings, art, whatever)

However, notice this can be slow if you have a slow server or with limited bandhwidth; to be creating images on the fly having to query the database several times is no such a good idea for a simple signature, but its your call so...

cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.