Alright let me lay out what im trying to do im just starting php and i really dont got a great handle on DB's either so any help would be wonderful.

Curently i was useing an html form to have people inpout data (name,age, type of stuff) via radio buttons drop down menus and text fields. Then they would send the thing through submit upon getting that i would set out to actually create a web page for there mini profile/dossier.

In the begining it worked cause there was no demand now that my member base is growing i cannot forsee any good for all this extra work. I have been trying to learn php recently (friend recomended it over perl) but im not up to the level i need to get this done.

So in conclusion im looking for a script to help with this or help oin creating one plz. where they could create a passwrod or password/username (dosent matter) to where they could log in and have the choice to create/delete/edit the profile from that password or pass/user name combo. Upon logging in if they choose to create it takes to a page with all the fields they can select from to add stuff to and then when they hit a button the page auto creates itself maybe from like a premade template or something (i know its possible and im not crazy) whats crazy is hand making all of them lol.

plz im not asking someone to make the whole thing i might eventually get it if someone could just give me an outline of the steps i have to take to get it done like an outline or osemthign. Plz any help before my member base disapears lol :-p credit will be given where deserved i dont cheat ppl that help. after help ill give yo link so that you knwo im not cheating you.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well, there is a lot to cover here, and a lot you need to learn obviously. :) I will start, and I'm sure others will pitch in as well.

Some things you need to clarify:

1. Do you have access to and know how to use phpMyAdmin to administrate your MySQL database?
  2. Do you know SQL? That is, do you know how to write SQL queries to SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE records?
  3. Do you know how to connect a PHP page to your MySQL database?
  4. Do you know how to select out a record or records and then display them using PHP?
  5. Do you know how to work with the $_POST and $_GET arrays in PHP to process FORM data?

Do you have access to and know how to use phpMyAdmin to administrate your MySQL database?

I do a little bit but i got a friend for sure that can help me with that if i need any extra help

Do you know SQL? That is, do you know how to write SQL queries to SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE records?

The amount that i know MySQL is well not well im preety sure that i could look up on the net or a tutorial for those commands, its just i dont know what commands i need/dont need to knwo for this project :-p one of the reason im asking for help here. I cant learn from a page saying this is what this does and how to do this lol i need to see some code of stuff that i will actually be useing the code for in order to understand the programing. I know it sounds backwards but its how i learned html and xml by looking at page source and comparing it to what i wanted to do, if you understand what im talking about :-p

Do you know how to connect a PHP page to your MySQL database?

Now this one i can figure out on my own for sure, i preety confident that i know how, but i have a lot of scripts that my friend had on his computer so i can just double or triple check to amke sure i got it right :p

Do you know how to select out a record or records and then display them using PHP?

No thats what eludes me i dont know what functions php use to sort out the data to get it to auto create then re read them and print them out on a page : :?:

#
# Do you know how to work with the $_POST and $_GET arrays in PHP to process FORM data?

This is actually what im trying to learn now its one of the reasons that i took on this project so that i can master those two commands :S

I think thats all the questions if you or anyone has the time to maybe help through an instant messanger plz feel free to add me
MSN: jerryawalker@hotmail.com
AIM: jerrythetrekie
YIM: loyaltrekie
(if you do add me plz say you did in this topic so i know who to accept plz)

Thanks again everyone this is kinda important for me to finish (you know boost me spirits into finishing learning all the commands and how everythign works) :P

EDIT(didnt expect it to be as large of a project as its turning out to be but i feel confident that if i can get this done with the help of everyoine that i will be abke to understand greatly if not fully understand what most of the functions and what not do so you can see why this is an important project for me im not planning on profiting from it othern then in the quest for knowledge and EVERYONE wants to help someone learn right lol just thought a joke might help*

If you want some personal tutoring, try posting in Daniweb's Web Scripting Job Offers forum.
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum94.html
I charge $25/hour for basic programming tutoring. I usually use MSN Voice chat and Windows Remote Assistance so I can show you on your own computer what to do--including setting up a proper programming environment. I find the hardest part is getting started--what tools you need and the basic architecture of how the various technologies fit together and communicate. Once you understand the basic environment and architecture, finding good, free code examples and tutorials on the Internet is easy.

Now for some free help!
Let's outline the bare-bones basics of your project. You want an application that:

1. Allow visitors to sign up to create a new account.<
  2. Once account exists, allow member to log in.<
  3. A "My Profile" page that displays the member's information as well as allow the member to edit their profile data.<

Am I missing any core functionality you are looking for at this stage?

1. Allow visitors to sign up to create a new account.
The first step is to create a database table to store the profile data. You can use whatever database admin method you prefer, but for many using MySQL, this will be phpMyAdmin. Perhaps you'll name your table "profile" with columns similar to this:

[b]profile[/b] table
----------------------------
profile_id BIGINT //auto-increment, primary key
username VARCHAR(50)
pword VARCHAR(50) //Store this as an MD5() hash
age INT
shoe_size INT
create_ts DATETIME
last_login_ts DATETIME

Let's stop right here. Can you accomplish this part? Do you need help creating the database table? Until you get beyond this point, there is no reason to continue with other concepts.

Hi, I am sorry to bump this post, I don't know how old it is. I need help with this type of thing. I am working on something very similar. This is what I have done so far:

I have a database(MYSql)
I am currently working on a login and register system, and it is nearly finished.
I have a main page of my site working.

What I need

I need to make user profiles like in this post. When a new person registers it creates a new page with their information. I have no clue how to do that, and any help is appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.