Hi all, I'm after the opinion from experienced website devs.

I want to build a website provides articles, of which some are restricted to subscribers. I will want to give users the ability to comment and rate articles.

So I will need the following functionality:

1. authentication
  2. forms
  3. user profile
  4. PayPal STD - recurring payments
  5. commets with validation
  6. article star rating

I am compitent enough at HTML/CSS and basic PHP.

I am not skilled enough in the software/frameworks I'm looking at, to know which to give my attention to out of: WordPress, Drupal and CodeIgniter. I have a very basic experience using both CodeIgniter and WordPress and have used Drupal quite a bit but only at a basic level.

I dont want to build a blog, I don't really want to build a CMS, I just want to build a very specific website. Drupal seems bulky and slow, Wordpress seems to be a hackers dream, and learning CI/OOP is scarey.

I'd build it confidentiality from scratch using procedural PHP and HTML/CSS, but I don't kn ow how to integrate PayPal recurring payments nor am I experienced with securing PHP code.

Any insight.advice would be very welcome.

If you want to make a website you need to know that to get people to visit your site you need to have the right keywords, the site optimized with incoming links and many other tricks that will get search engines to pay attention to it. Check out this great resource as you are considering how to go about it: <website snipped>

Thanks for the SPAM

Anyone with any helpful insights?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.