I finally have it so that when I click the submit button, I do get an email, but all that shows up is: "Name:". It doesn't tell me what the name is, or show the other two fields. (It does go to the Thank You page OK.) What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Here's the form html:
<form name="contactform" method="post" action="send_form_email.php">
<fieldset>
<legend>What shall we call it?</legend>
<label for="Name">Your name or screen-name:</label>
<input type="text" name="name" id="Name"/><br /><br />
<label for="Comment">
Comments: </label> <br /><br />
<textarea name="comment" id="Comment" cols="60" rows="6"></textarea>
<br /><br />
<label for="Studyname">
Suggested study name: </label><input type="text" name="studyname" id="Studyname" size="60" /><br />
<br />
<input type="Submit" value="Send" /><br />
<input type="Reset" value="Clear" /><br />
</fieldset>
</form>

Here's what I have for the php, using a simple example I found online, and modifying it for my form:
<?php
{
$name = $_REQUEST;
$comment = $_REQUEST;
$studyname = $_REQUEST;

mail( "myemail@gmail.com", "Study Name",
"Name: $name",
"Comment: $comment",
"Studyname: $studyname");

header( "Location: http://mywebsite.us/ThankYou.html" );
}
?>

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I think there may be something missing in the php part of your script.

$email = $_REQUEST['email'] ;

It should come here:

<?php

Followed by the rest, and then here

it should look something like this:

]mail( "myemail@gmail.com", "Study Name", $message, "From: $email" );

}
?>

So what I recon, your script should then look like this:

<?php
$name = $_REQUEST['name'];
$comment = $_REQUEST['comment'];
$studyname = $_REQUEST['studyname'];

$message, "From: $email" );

?>

But, I may be wrong.

In your code, this is wrong i think...

"Name: $name",
"Studyname: $studyname");

Obviously, the mail() function syntax is mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);

Isnt it..? But you gave Name, Comment, Studyname like that..

First of all, you have to store the message in a separate variable (e.g $message) that you need to send. Then, try to append it in mail function. It will definitely works.

Hope you can understand this. If still problem occurs, please let me know...

Thanks for trying, but with those changes, it doesn't send the email or go to the thank you page.

I just saw your comment, Dragonbaki. My previous response was to Kraai.
I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. You're saying I need something like:
$message= "Name: $name",
"Studyname: $studyname"

Not sure about the syntax in that. And I don't understand about the headers. In the example I was studying, the sender's email was requested, and that's what was in the headers position. I didn't request the sender's email. Do I need to put something there?

Just comment the header function and try to run that program... If suppose any error in mail() function, you will get.. Post that error... we will discuss abt that...

I tried using the syntax I found in another discussion on this forum, but still no joy.
Here's how I have the php now:

<?php
$to = "myemail@gmail.com";
$name = $_REQUEST;
$comment = $_REQUEST;
$studyname = $_REQUEST;
$message = "From: $name Comment: $comment" Studyname: $studyname" ;

mail( $to, "Rose Study Name", $message, "anonymous@server.sureserver.com");

header( "Location: http://heritageroses.us/ThankYou.html" );

?>

And here's the error message I get:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/mywebsite/www/www/send_form_email.php on line 6

That's the $message line. The one I used as reference also had \n\n after the first 2 items in message, but when I tried that, I got 2 error messages.

I looked up that message, but the things I found didn't help me.

Yes.. You have syntax error in your code... See the following actual line you posted.

$message = "From: $name Comment: $comment" Studyname: $studyname" ;

This line consists of only 3 double quotes.. which means you did not handle the quotes correctly...

$message = "From: $name <br> Comment: $comment <br> Studyname: $studyname" ;

Replace the above line with line 6... If still problem occurs., pls let me know...

Much improved! Thanks. Can't believe I didn't notice that ". However, now that it is sending me an email, here is what is in the email:

I'm assuming the breaks don't work because the page is a .php page, not html. But I don't know why it doesn't print the contents of $name, $comment and $studyname.

Never mind- it was the html in the form- still had capital letters in the id field. I made them lower case, and now it sends the info. Thanks so much for your help debugging my code!
Tearose49

Much improved! Thanks. Can't believe I didn't notice that ". However, now that it is sending me an email, here is what is in the email:

I'm assuming the breaks don't work because the page is a .php page, not html. But I don't know why it doesn't print the contents of $name, $comment and $studyname.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.