I normally use PHP. However I am interested in learning asp as well. My question is what is a good development environment to use for my personal private development at home? Is there a free environment I can use? I am a total stranger to asp, so please forgive my ignorance.. lol :) I normally used WAMP server for PHP development. I assume there's something similar for asp?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

However I am interested in learning asp as well.

Great! But here are two web technologies - classic ASP (old one and not used) and ASP.NET. So you may start learning ASP.NET

My question is what is a good development environment to use for my personal private development at home?

Well, IMO I'd suggest PHP, ASP.NET is bit difficult because everyone who wants to learn ASP.NET, he/she must have sound know-how of Object-oriented programming, he/she must have to learn the .net framework and .net framework compatible programming language - VB.NET or C#.

Is there a free environment I can use?

The .NET Framework is free and you can download free IDE (Visual Studio 2010 Express) from microsoft sites. VS2010 Express is suit of products like VB.NET, C# languages, the .net framework version 4.0, and MS-SQL database server 2008.

I already am very familiar with php. I am about to start school for web development in March, just wanted to get a jump on asp.net. ty all very much for your input.. greatly appreciated. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.